At 5pm on Wednesday we checked in to our Ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) in a small spa town call Misasa. Our Ryokan was beautiful and likely the most famous one in Japan. The Imperial family visits this Ryokan when they go on vacation. What makes this Ryokan special are not the rooms, although the traditional Japanese styling gives the experience an antique and exotic charm, it’s the beautiful baths, made from the natural springs all over the island, that are the real appeal. There were several bath rooms both indoors and out doors, and these bath rooms are public although separated into men’s and women’s areas. We were lucky that Spring is the off-season for these spas; we had the baths all to ourselves. The Japanese are very particular about their baths. Before you can get into the bath you must first wash your whole body, and don’t even think about going in with a swim suit or even a towel, you must be completely without clothing or covering. Inside the bath though, it was heaven. The water was so warm and fresh. The hotel was actually built around the baths, so the rocks surrounding the bath grew moss and other shrubbery giving it an authentic and natural feel. The Japanese people believe that the water in Misasa heals you, and as I sat there soaking, I couldn’t disagree.
After a good soak, Jonathan and I met back in our room where a traditional Japanese dinner was served. Our butler-ess was a very nice, kimono donned woman who would talk to me in Japanese, although she knew I couldn’t understand a word. The food she served was the most fabulous, extravagant, beautiful, and delicious meal I have ever eaten. Plate after plate of one delicious delicacy followed another. My favorites were the shrimp and squid I got to cook on a steaming out rock, the fresh roasted fish, and of course the dessert garnished with gold leafing. All of my food was cooked, while Jonathan got quite a bit of sushi including the coveted blue fin tuna and the not so coveted sea snail. Any food we didn’t like, we would flush down the toilet when the butler-ess left the room. We didn’t want to offen the chef. The chef picked the menu, although we let her know ahead of time that I would prefer all cooked food while Jonathan liked the raw stuff. The only thing I hated was the sea snake soup, the texture was like…uhm…I still feel nauseated thinking about it. We also received a large bottle of sake on the house (which I’m bringing home to you, Dad), but instead of drinking that, we asked for something a little less traditional, coke. We didn’t realize this at the time, but they charged us $3.50 for each one and we had 5 between us…oops. I ate more food that night than I have ever eaten in my life. I went to bed on my little futon with a stomach ache, but with a smile on my face. The next morning it happened all over again with a traditional Japanese breakfast and another soak.
It was a perfectly romantic and gluttonous evening.
Jonathan is such a dreamy man.
They even gave us these cool Japanese socks to where around the Inn. Oh by the way, you wear these robes around the Ryokan as well.
Beautiful little alcove at the Ryokan.
Walking to the outside bath.
This is breakfast the next morning. I was so full, but also so happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVyq3vt3upw
No comments:
Post a Comment