After finding such amazing fabric in Japan, I felt compelled to make something out of it. Well the truth is, rather, that I really like pretty things. Like really girly, pretty things. It's not something that I like to admit right away. You know, I wouldn't describe myself to be the girly girl sort, but underneath it all, I adore butterflies and flowers. I think that I look best in pink. Purple is one of my favorite colors. Most telling is that I often imagine myself to be a princess, and well, I demand Jonathan treat me like one.
So, when I found this really pretty Japanese fabric, all I could think of was draping myself in it just like a little girl who has discovered her mother's jewelry box and must wear all if it contents simultaneously. I imagined myself parading around in a kind of toga made from layer upon layer of each fantastically feminine fabric that draws a contented sigh of girlish glee from my 27 year old heart. But, no matter what my super-fem psyche would have me do, reason prevails and I purchased just enough fabric to make a bag. This way I can carry the fabric around with me everywhere, and I'm not a weirdo.
Here's the bag:


How did I make it? I actually made my own pattern out of graph paper. And then my new friend, whose husband is also a lawyer in Japan, had a sewing party at her house and let me use her sewing machine.
Speaking of girly things...what is it about miniaturizing things that makes girls happy:
15 comments:
I know what I would like for you to bring me back from Japan this time: a bag made by you! please...
panda, I miss you. I miss that face you make. Please bring me back some fabric. plz.
OH my!! I LURVE that fabric and that bag! Look at you, all Martha Stewart! :)
Hi, um, I just wanted to say that I really related to the girlieness descriptions here - I feel all those things frequently. :) Especially the part about loving miniturized anything.
I love that bag, and i love that you just made it up. I want to be you someday. (I confess: i think i've secretly felt that way since the first time Jon brought you over to meet me.)
Love the bag! And Austin has a theory that girls love minature things so that we'll like babies. I don't know what it is, but truely everything is cuter when it's minature. I almost bought a pet dwarf rabbit for that very reason. Almost.
Amanda awesome bag you did a really good job on it and I love the print. Love Mom
Wow, that bag is amazing--it even has inside pockets!!! You are so talented!
Amazing bag! Seriously, I am so impressed!! Love the fabric and expecially the inside fabric. Awesome!
SOOO impressive and very true about the mini thing!
--Sara Nuila
Wow you are my crafting hero! That bag is so cute :)
Great bag! What cute fabric. You could totally sell bags like this on Etsy.com. I was looking and found a small purse with the same fabric...couldn't believe the coincidence. take a look http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26359014
Sure miss you guys! Stay in touch.
Impressive sewing/designing skills!
Post a Comment