Monday, February 14, 2011

35 Weeks and 35 Days of Baby Boy Strads: A Delectable Valentine's Day

What a delectable Valentine's Day!  I'm coming to realize that the people who know me well, know that what makes me really happy is really beautiful, really delectable food.  I would have never guessed this about myself, but food, all aspects of it, from where it is grown, to how it is cooked, and of course, how it tastes fascinates me.  And when people make me good food....ahhh.....my heart melts.  I feel loved and cared for.  In other words, I think there should be a sixth love language, FOOD.

Since being pregnant, I crave sweets particularly.  Some days, everything I eat is sweet.  Breakfast: Cereal (some kind of tasty, sweet kind). Snack: Granola Bar (some kind of tasty, sweet kind).  Lunch:  Fruity yogurt and PBandJ.  (Both sweet). Snack: Another bowl of cereal, or apple, or cookie, or granola bar (all sweet). Dinner: Pancakes, eggs, and bacon with LOTS of syrup. Snack: cookie, icecream, etc. Yum.  It's no wonder that I'm packing on the pounds...that and I'm pregnant with what's likely to be a monster baby.  Have I ever mentioned that my mom and both of her sisters had babies that were more than 10 lbs?  Eek.

So what has made this Valentine's Day so delectable?  First, I opened my front door this morning to find this:

Yes, that's right.  This is an apple pie with gruyere cheese made especially for me and Jon by my Little Sis. So sweet right?  Look how perfectly cooked it is!  Look at those crust hearts!  I love it and can't wait to eat a slice or two or three this evening, while cuddling up with Jonathan.

Then there was lunch: Jonathan and I decided last week that we weren't going to officially celebrate Valentine's Day.  I mean, we just got back from celebrating three weeks in Hawaii, no need to feel obligated to celebrate Vday.  I thought we would just have a nice dinner at home and cuddle up while watching a movie or something.  This plan was especially nice for me considering that "getting ready," meaning wearing something nice, putting on makeup, and generally staying awake for an extended period of time, has become a bit of a chore.

However, when I woke up this morning and remembered it was Valentine's Day, I felt a little pang because it's fun to have a Valentine...you know. But of course, Jonathan surprised me with a sweet email and flowers and romantic lunch at Elephant Walk, a Cambodian/ French fusion restaurant.



He's sweet.

So tonight, I'm making him a Steak.  It's the best I can do.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!  XOXO, Amanda

3 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Oh Jonathan. I told you, the man never disappoints. I'm glad you had a good V-day. I cried a little last night because I fell asleep at 7, yes 7, on Valentine's night. What kind of a Valentine am I?

Lizzie said...

Beautiful pie & roses....Jon is a sweet guy, I definitely agree. It's good to know that about you, actually--the food fetish ;)-- I think I have a leaning in that direction too. I made my first real foray into attempting gourmet cooking yesterday, so now instead of feeling completely daunted by the whole idea, making really good food for people actually seems....possible. :)

Danelle said...

Oh my goodness! Apple pie with gruyere cheese? Ooh, I want some right now, yummy yummy! What a great Valentines Day! (Maybe I'll have to make that for Adam next V-day. He deserves it.)