Monday, June 13, 2011

Mama Katie Came for a Visit or the Tale of the Giant Pastrami Sando

My favorite sister Katherine Marie came for a quick visit last weekend. Since I'm used to hanging out with her everyday in Boston, it was especially good to have her in town with us in Nuevo York. She's so fun and interesting. Everyone thinks so. Even though I'm her older sister, I still feel like I learn a lot about life from her. Mainly, she teaches me how to relax and soak in the world around me.

It was a sunny NYC weekend. Nice and hot. Sawyer was on his best behavior. He definitely wanted to impress Katie with all his new skills, mainly smiling and getting really excited about life. As usual, Aunt Katie did make him cry on occasion. She has a tendency to take her "play" a little TOO far. Sawyer showed his protest with the classic sausage lip (the elusive sausage lip has yet to be captured on film).

Highlights of the weekend:
  • Picnic in Central Park with a Carnegie Deli pastrami sandwiches, potato salad, onion rings, and a giant slice of cheese cake.  As we were ordering we weren't looking at the menu for pricing...let's just say that I never dreamed that a Deli lunch could be so expensive.  But it was tasty and also a lot of fun.  Also, Sawyer pooped his pants...the leaky kind.
  • Starbucks bathroom:  We waited in line at a Starbucks for more than a half hour because, if you know me at all, you can imagine what happened to my intestines after consuming a pastrami sandwich and onion rings.  Jonathan warned me, but I would have none of it.  It was a dirty bathroom and it's hard to hover when you have bowel explosions...ew.
  • Magnolia Cupcakes:  We were on our way to Rockefeller Center when Katie said, "First, my hunger pains are stickin' like duct tape. Let's hit up Magnolia and mack on some cupcakes."  I agreed, "No doubt that bakery's got all da bomb frostings. I love those cupcakes like McAdams loves Gosling." Once we had our cupcakes we found a bench to munch on them and Katie exclaimed, "Two, no six, no twelve, BAKER'S DOZEN. I told you that I'm crazy for these cupcakes, cousin!...I mean, sister."
  • Rockefeller Center:  We checked out the home of 30 Rock, saw where NYC places it's famous giant Christmas tree, and then spent about an hour in the Lego store.  Sure, Lego's are cool, but we spent most of our time in the store reminiscing about our brother and his obsession with Lego's as a kid.  It was fun.
  • The Cafeteria:  Just before Katie left on Sunday we ate at a fun little restaurant called, The Cafeteria in Chelsea. (I guess I should mention that Jonathan was an awesome husband and took care of Sawyer for me almost the whole weekend so I could hang out without a needy baby...ahhh, it was a miracle.) The Cafeteria serves "American food with a twist."  Basically, it was a hip little restaurant that served the most delicious mac 'n cheese I've ever tasted.  
And that was our short and sweet hang out!  I loved having Katie around.  I wish she just lived with me all the time, however, I know a situation like that would be her worst nightmare.  I tend to be the classic older sister: a bossy, know-it-all.  I could try to change, but what's the point of being the oldest otherwise? Right?

Thanks for coming Katie!   

How to Eat a Carnegie Deli Pastrami Sandwich:






Picnic in the Park:





Wall of Lego's:  every piece in every color.
Most delish Mac n' Cheese:  With Cheddar and Fontina, With Smoked Gouda and Bacon, With Truffle Oil.

5 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

1) I think I saw some cleavage? One of the benefits of breastfeeding.
2) I know you know ALL about McAdams macking on Gosling.
3) You girls are too cute. I want to be there too.

Amanda+Jonathan said...

Oh yea, That's cleavage alright. I was going to mention it, but then I thought it might be obscene/I didn't want to brag about how big the ladies have gotten. I'm proud of them though! I had to send back a swim suit because although it fit me EVERYWHERE, it didn't fit my chest. Hooray!

Unknown said...

Awww--- looks like a fun weekend. Wish I were there! And I love how you guys make it a priority to each good food. Makes me want to do the same.

Jessica Clark said...

lol I didn't notice the cleavage- I think Char is just jealous! jk! The food looks so good!!!!

gardeniagirl said...

Jess: I'm not jealous. I just know from experience about huge boobs. So there.