My doctor is pretty awesome. She's a really funny, really smart, really Jewish, and overall really caring lady. I met with her and told her how I was feeling. She listened and then asked the usual list of questions..."Do you take drugs?" "How often do you drink?" "When was your last period?" "Etc.?" I couldn't really remember my last period. I'm nursing and have fertility problems so...there's no real point of keeping track of that sort of thing. But, it had been a while, I thought. I had considered taking a pregnancy test earlier, but had forgotten about it, since I knew it was impossible that it would be positive. As for the drinking and drugs, I said, "I'm not a drinker. I'm Mormon." I've gotten used to giving this answer since college. In my early twenties, when I told doctors that I don't drink they just gave me a look that said, "Come on, I'm not stupid". However, when I explain that I'm Mormon, well, they believe anything I tell them.
After throwing out the Mormon card, we went on to have a comical discussion about why Mormons don't drink coffee and tea. She used to live in Utah and was always confused and annoyed about how Mormons will drink tons of Coke or energy drinks but not coffee or tea. She even went on to say recent literature actually says that coffee and alcohol are good for you in correct doses. Blah, blah, blah. I told her I agree. It is an annoying part of our religion, especially with all the contradictory behaviors and explanations that Mormons display. I told her that for me, it's an obedience thing. I made a commitment not to use those substances, so I don't. I also explained that free-agency (the ability to choose how to live your life) is one of the greatest gifts that God has given us. We have the ability to make mistakes, to learn, to be forgiven, and then to go on to make good choices. When we take part in substances that cause addiction or that impair our ability to make decisions, it might seem like we are taking advantage of that gift. And plus, she's Jewish right? She has her own set of quirky eating restrictions! It was a light-hearted, jocular conversation mostly.
Once we got back on track she said that there was a medicine she wanted to prescribe, but she wasn't sure I could take it if I was breastfeeding, and I definitely couldn't take it if I was pregnant. So, while she checked about breastfeeding, why don't I go down to the lab to pee in a cup so they could run a pregnancy test? I am always willing to take a pregnancy test. I mean, even though I know that it's impossible, the suspense is still fun, right? However, to be honest, at the time I didn't even give it a second thought. There was no way I was pregnant, and I knew that. I was busy with Sawyer and stressed about my hernia. I wasn't even thinking about being pregnant, AT ALL.
So, I went down to the lab and then returned to my little exam room to play on my phone. I waited there for a while until finally my doctor returned to the room with a little slip of paper and a mischievous smile on her face. She looked at me and said, "What would you do if I told you, you are pregnant!" I just looked at her and a deep resentment filled me heart, "Shut Up! That's not funny." We had been joking so much earlier, prodding each other, and the news was so impossible, that I assumed she was messing around with me. Her face suddenly turned serious and she nervously said, "No, really, see here are the results," and she showed me the paper. And then I bawled. She patted my back and with true concern she quietly whispered, "This is a good thing, you know? Right?" And through my tears I yelled, "Of course this is a good thing!! My doctors told me that this could never ever happen!" She stood up, gave me this look like she was so proud of me, and with the fierce attitude of a woman and a mother she said, "I guess they weren't right about YOU, were they?!" I dried my eyes and we happily chatted for a little while longer. We decided that my symptoms were probably explained by my pregnancy and that I needed a blood test to figure out exactly how far along I was. I called Jonathan as I was heading back down to the lab and his reaction was exactly the same as mine, "Shut Up!" Which was followed by, "No wonder you've been such a [witch] lately." I love Jonathan. Ahh.... It was one of the happiest moments of our lives!
So the blood test and then the ultrasound revealed I was like 8 weeks along! Currently I am almost 22 weeks pregnant with a little GIRL. Here are a few previews of miracle Baby Girl Strads due on October 31st, 2012.
![]() |
| Lady Strad's Profile |

17 comments:
Oh my goodness! How is that even her ultrasound profile is the most adorable thing ever?? I cannot wait to meet this little girl!
Amanda- I am so excited! What a wonderful surprise.
and I love your blog. Thank you!
So exciting!! Congrats!!
Oh Amanda, this made me tear up! So sweet and such a miracle! I can tell that she is already a beauty, just like her mother.
Oh, and I love your perfect Mormonness. I want to be just like you. :)
You just made me cry, girlfriend. I'm so so so happy for you! And I'm crying again. Seriously wonderful.
YAY!!!!!!! That is super FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Congratulations! :)
Maybe she'll be born on your birthday.
You rock, and I can't wait to meet new baby.
Yes I still blog stalk you and YES I AM SO EXCITED for you guys :). Maybe there is something with miracle babys being girls...we sure love ours and I'm glad you get a little girl now too!
yeah!!!! Mom love you
yeah!!!! Mom love you
Congratulations, that is SO wonderful! What am amazing experience! And I'm especially happy you are having a little girl to go with little boy Sawyer!
Yay yay yay! I love this story! I'm so excited for you and Jonathan (and I'm looking forward to seeing your cute pregnant belly in a few weeks!).
Such a sweet story! I already knew b/c Morgan told me ;) but had to come on and say I'm soooooo happy for you and Jonathan.
Congrats Amanda, what a surprise blessing!
I read this again as I was holding and rocking little Lyla tonight.
She was a tender little bundle, crying softly. As I cuddled her in the crook of my arm, and gently patted her bottom, she became quiet and settled down.
We rocked quietly for a long time, and I pulled this up on Amanda's iPad. It was very touching to read this experience as I held this beautiful little child, and contemplated the future of her life. You were surprised and delighted, as was Rebecca and I.
I remembered a time when I was very concerned about one of my children, and as I continued to pray for her over a long period of time, the Lord told me that he was holding her in the crook of his arm. I was comforted then, but feel deeper insight now. He is holding her in the crook of her arm, with the tenderness and love I feel for Lyla. She is small and helpless. She is upset, frustrated, by minor things. He pats her gently, to comfort her. She sleeps quietly. He is pleased to be able to show her love.
Post a Comment