Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sawyer is 3!

Sawyer is three, 3!!!  Some parts of me gasp, "Wait...what...he's only three?  Hasn't he been around forever?!"  Other parts cry out, "How is he three already?!  Wasn't it just the other day that we were bringing him home from the hospital?"  But here we are with a perfect, three-year-old little boy, who continues to melt our hearts every day.

It's hard to explain, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't find myself falling deeper and deeper in love with my Sawyer.  He might be a cranky brat sometimes, but honestly, when the boy smiles at me, when he kisses my cheeks, or tells me how much he loves my hair, or that he wants to be like his dad, or that he loves his little sister Lyla, or that he wants to cuddle with me on the couch (all things that he does everyday) it's like...soul cleansing, if only for a moment.  How could any angst exist in my heart when there is a little Sawyer running around looking at me like I am the most wonderful, beautiful, delightful, amazing person in the world?

Sawyer is pushing 40 pounds these days.  He's obsessed with getting bigger and stronger.  He eats an obscene amount of food, and has developed quite a sweet tooth.  Jonathan tries to curry favor by bringing home treats from work, and unfortunately, Sawyer's affections and preferences are easily bought with enough sugar. Sawyer is teetering on the line of "chubby kid" at the moment thanks to his constant supply of Haribo gummy bears.  Sawyer is most certainly a Daddy's boy, but he does have a soft spot for his Mommy.  Lyla continues to be a punching bag of sorts for Sawyer, except now, instead of scratching at her face like a little badger, he's been practicing his body-checks on her.  It's hard not to laugh when Lyla flies across the room after Sawyer thumps her with his thrusted chest.

Sawyer is developing some mildly alarming personality traits.  Mostly alarming because they are so much like his dad...ahhh.  Just kidding....not really.  Anyway, Sawyer creates little stashes around the house of his favorite things.  These are things that he doesn't want to lose but more importantly, things that he doesn't want Lyla to take, or look at, or even get wind of.  He even hoards treats.  He can hide a bag of gummy bears around the house for days. He will go find his treasures occasionally to make sure they are safe. Much like Gollum, he caresses his little bags of sweets and then jealously hides them again with a self-satisfied smile. This is just evidence that he has way too much sugar in his life. One of his favorite games is to hide one of his treasures behind his back and run up to me singing, "Mom! I've got a prize for you!"  Then he shows me the treat and just as quickly runs off to hide it again.

Also, like his dad, Sawyer has developed a some particular bathroom habits.  These include outrageously bad aim and taking long relaxing poops.  The other day I found Sawyer lounging on the toilet.  His bum was completely inside the bowl, his elbows propped comfortably on the seat, and his head relaxed back against the lid.  He looked quite comfortable actually. I felt a little guilty when I kicked him out of the bathroom.

Don't worry, there's plenty of me in Sawyer too:  Of course, he's super sweet.  He loves to show affection.  He's exceptionally bright...this list goes on, OF COURSE.  Jonathan claims that he sees me in Sawyer every time he throws a tantrum.  Sawyer's got a bit of a temper and likes to express his frustration (rage) when things don't go his way.  I know most of you are chuckling right now...thanks a lot guys.

Sawyer has finally found himself making friends.  For a while there, it seemed like Sawyer might have some serious social impairments since we left the majority of our playdates with at least two kids in tears because Sawyer terrorized them or made them bleed.  Within the last few months Sawyer has realized that taking turns and sharing are compromises worth making since they win him the affections of other kids.  It turns out that Sawyer is just the kind of kid that other kids want around. Sawyer always tells them interesting things about his life like the time he fell and got a bloody lip after he pooped in the potty and mommy wiped his bum.  That's his favorite story to tell.  Other stories are made up, but they often include Sawyer saving the day by taking a knife and cutting off someone's arm or hand (We can thank Jonathan for this fantasy since he has already showed Sawyer all three of the original Star Wars movies).

Sawyer is also very interested in the origins of the things in his life.  He will pick up a toy and ask where it is from?  Who gave it to him and when?  He asks me who made him and Lyla.  Sawyer asks me nearly everyday to tell him the story of the day he was born.  At bedtime, I tell him the birth stories of everyone in our family.  He can't get enough.  And I love telling him.

We think that Sawyer is just about the best little boy we could ever wish for.  We love him so much it hurts.

Happy birthday my Baby Boy.  I love you forever!


Sawyer got a scooter for his birthday!  Even though it was wrapped like this he honestly had no idea what it was until he unwrapped it.









Sawyer very specifically requested a coconut cake with blueberries.  I think he got the idea from a Curious George episode.



Here is a video of Sawyer telling the story of when he went with Dad to the office and peed on his chair...and it just gets better from there.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww such a lovely post. Sawyer is the best little boy and has such a soft, squishy place in my heart. I love the video of him. I watched the whole thing! You are such a good mom, Mandy, and he is pretty dang lovable too.

PS-- I need that coconut cake recipe yesterday!

Christin said...

We loved the video of Sawyer. Norah offered him some of her pretzel while he was talking about getting big.

gardeniagirl said...

That cake looks dang amazing. I was just thinking this morning, does Sawyer still say "Nes" for "yes"? I miss you so, Amanda. And your dear children. And I guess Jon too.

clara said...

I loved the video I miss my sauce so m!!!!! I love you sauce love grammy