We spent Saturday and Sunday in Kobe. Jonathan and Dr. C spent the whole day at the conference, which left me to fend for myself for my first day in Japan. I told myself that if I wasn’t willing to venture out today, then I would probably never get up the nerve to do it. So, with my guide book in hand and a small cartoonish map from the front desk, I took off towards the shopping district. When I got lost along the way, I would stop someone with the one Japanese word I have mastered “sumimasen” (excuse me), point to the map, and then point for a direction. This little game worked very well, and the Japanese people who felt bad for me would even walk with me for part of the way to make sure I was off in the right direction. The shopping district was a maze of one shop after another. It was so strange to find a Marc Jacobs right next to some cheap Chinese bag import shop. The stores never stopped and neither did the people who were going in an out of them. In fact, the Japanese word for “shopping” is “shop-pingu,” and whenever I used it to ask for directions, the little Japanese women got an almost giddy look in their eyes. The Japanese people apparently love the fact that they have money and are willing to spend it on a whim. It’s all high-fashion in Japanese cities. I felt very out of place in my sandals and jeans. The girls here in Japan are sporting the summer style of very short shorts, black thigh-highs, and stilettos…all together. To be honest with you, if the girls aren’t wearing well-fitted suits, which they have to wear to work and school, then they are wearing some variation of Provo-girl Halloween costume (any of you who have gone to the UVSC Halloween dance party know exactly what I am talking about.) I haven’t gotten a picture yet, but I’ll make sure I include one at some point. When Jonathan and Dr. C finished at the conference, around 6pm, Dr. C. went straight to bed (he’s trying to stay on American time), and Jonathan and I went out on the town. We ate at this hole in the wall (literally) Korean restaurant, it was situated beneath the train tracks and would shake violently every 20 minutes or so, but it was so delicious. Seriously, the food here is something special.
Sunday, we woke up early so we could hike up to a waterfall before Church. Until Sunday morning, I wasn’t too impressed with Japan. (It’s not like I’ve never gone shopping before.) But the hike up to the waterfall was the start of a beautiful love affair with this country. The trees, the moss, the well groomed trail, I loved everything about it. Church was also lovely. It’s funny but true that the Church is the same everywhere in the world. Although I couldn’t understand a single word, the demeanors, the body language, everything was the same as my church at home. Jonathan served his mission for about 8 months in Kobe, and it was wonderful to see the people there so excited to see him. I was so proud to be there with him. He was a good missionary. The family he baptized was also at Church, and we ate dinner with them later that night. Jonathan brought me along to the conference after church , which required us to climb half of the mountain until we finally reached the Law Faculty building at Kobe University. After being dragged all that way, I found out that I wasn’t actually allowed into the conference, so I stood out in the hall fuming! It was only and hour and a half, but I made it seem like Jonathan had ruined about 5 years of my life. Even though I was mad, I was so proud of him when I saw him talking to all of the Japanese academics. I think that his and Dr.C’s research poster looked more attractive and professional than anyone else’s (Jonathan added this last sentence, but I have to agree.) Jonathan and Dr. C finished up with the conference in the afternoon and we said goodbye to the founder of our feast. Tomorrow we head to Hiroshima.

Jonathan standing by the sign for his conference.

The never ending stairs to the waterfall. I didn't realize how out of shape I was until I had to climb these things.

The waterfall.


This picture shows our love at the waterfall.

Japanese Dustin Hoffman. This picture doesn't quite convey just how much this guy looks like Dustin Hoffman, but it was uncanny.
Minioshi Family that Jonathan taught on his mission.
5 comments:
Oh so cute!! I love you guys! I would be very proud of Jonathan too :) I am also proud of you for venturing out on your own in an unknown city. You are sure to make many lasting memories, especially ones including wild summer wardrobes on skinny Japanese women. Please sneak a picture soon, I am in need of a good laugh. Liam and I are currently in a showdown. He is in his room screaming "Momma bee! Momma bee!" Translation: It is almost 10 pm, he is exhausted, but is insisting on sleeping in "Momma's Bed". I am trying my best to ignore him. So yes, send a laugh my way soon.
Love you guys :)
Way to go! Shopping by yourself is a big step. Did you buy anything? Be sure to tell us about the purchases if you did. And the waterfall looks beautiful.
Panda,
MMM. . .Japanese/Korean food. Sounds good and romantic. Maybe I can get my husband to take me out for my birthday to some place good like that.
hahaha provo girl halloween costume! it's so true! all of my went-one-time-vowed-to-never-go-again-uvsc-dance memories just came flooding back!
Also congrats jstrad on the poster! i feel proud to know exactly how much work went into that thing and to know it all paid off.
Love your blog sounds like you are having a really great time I love history so the detail is great. Miss you it's just not the same around here without you.
Post a Comment