We wondered if the map was an example of Japanese humor.
This is how Mr. Kagaya described his restaurant on his website:
"Introduction of "KAGAYA" No,1 KAGAYA is the bar. This place is amusing and amazing. This is a homey little bar. This have a relaxed atmosphere. There are about fifteen cherks. They come from many countries and areas !! No,2 Everyone play many games. This is exciting. No,3 The food is Japanese home cooking. Mainly they are vegetable foods. You will ce able to imagine about Japanese mothers. And it is nice taste. No,4 But it is hard to explain about KAGAYA. Please come and have an exprience."
Jonathan called the restaurant several times to make a reservation, get directions, and then change our reservations over the course of a couple of days. He became a bit anxious when he realized that each time he called the restaurant the same guy answered, talking in his charming “Engrish” and perhaps a little overly excited that we would be spending an evening at the restaurant. Jonathan suggested that Kagaya Bar and Restaurant was a one-man-show. “Pish-Posh” we said, blowing off Jonathan’s pessimism.
Outfitted with our map and the directions that Jillian’s information provided, we set out to find this basement restaurant marked by a little white sign with a rabbit, frog, and bear drawn on it. As we walked through what can only be described as a shady and run-down neighborhood, we encountered many stores, restaurants, and bars called “Kagaya.” It was so bizarre. Restaurants on opposite corners of the same block would share the name Kagaya, but they were also obviously different establishments. We figured that this must also be an example of Japanese humor.
Completely lost, Jonathan called the restaurant one last time. The same guy answered and offered to meet us back at the train station to escort us to Kagaya. We laughed. “See! If it was really a one-man-show, do you think that he could leave the restaurant?” Back at the train station we met up with a little Japanese man wearing a long flowery apron. He smiled and seemed to be in a hurry to get back to the restaurant as soon as possible. We raced after him for several blocks until we reached the little white sign we had been looking for.
The dinner started off normally enough with the Japanese tradition of serving guests wet napkins to clean their hands. The only difference, however, is that while a waiter normally delivers the napkins, at Kagaya a little robot cartoon character wheeled them over to us on his head. Later, this robot cartoon talked to us and then flew over our heads, blimp-like. Mr. Kagaya rounded out the action with sound effects.
It was hilarious.
This small Japanese man had no shame. He danced, sang, and talked his way through the entire meal while we laughed in disbelief and genuine amusement.
Mr. Kagaya went on to act out the menu. The dramatic interpretation of each choice left us rolling on the floor. First of all Mr. Kagaya’s English is not great, but good enough that he can use it to his comedic advantage. When he came to the menu item that he obviously wanted us to pick, he would lick his lips and with great fervor he acted as if it gave him the greatest pleasure a human could experience. It was ridiculous and a little embarrassing. Our choices for food were small, medium, large, and extra large. We didn’t choose the food itself, but rather, how much or little we wanted. Drinks were served in trick glasses that either vibrated violently or belched depending on which one you were given. The vibrating made it almost impossible to drink, but it also made for some hearty laughs.
While we waited for our food, Mr. Kagaya performed two cultural dances for us. The first was a hyper and sporadic Brazilian performance filled with hip shakes and fluorescent clothing. The second was the modern dance interpretation of a “passionate” French painter who was finally able to paint the girl of his dreams, Jillian. The performances were outstanding. I almost peed my pants.
This was our water pitcher.
I obviously looked the best in the glasses.
He started off singing with a puppet behind this poster.
Then he burst forth in this awesome frog costume.
He talked with this little Kermit that dance with him.
It was one of the strangest but most heart-warmingly hilarious experiences of my life. If you are ever in Tokyo please run to meet Mr. Mark Kagaya.
Yea, I don't really know what this sign means.
9 comments:
That place sounds hilarious and bizzare! I'm glad you had fun. On a random side note I hung out with your friends sister last night, Analisa (not sure if I spelled that right). She's in Austin's ward. Random.
Wow! What would have happened if more people showed up after you were there? How was the food? How does he do it on a busy day?
Amanda, I am so sad I keep on missing your phone calls! I need to keep my phone attached to some body part from now on. This restaurant sounds absolutely priceless. Jillian is the kind of girl I want to go on vacations with! Research definitely pays, doesn't it?
What a wonderful experience. maybe Jillian should lead tours!
Awesome. So awesome. It's too bad that if a place like that existed here, it'd be too swamped and would quickly lose all of its charm. It's only a big city that can have a Kagaya. :)
Amanda I got it to work so I can send comments on your blogs I don't know why it wouldn't work before unless because I pushed the red X first and then started pushing the other buttons but I tried again and it worked. I was wondering the smae things what would have happened if more patrons had come at the same time. will talk later Love Mom xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Aha! I visited Kagaya a couple of years ago, and he was looking for a snappy slogan for his restaurant. For some reason we got to chatting about how if a monkey bangs at a typewriter for long enough eventually it will produce complete works of shakespeare (commonly quoted probability argument)..he loved this idea and as so i worked it into that sign, changing monkey for frog which is his animal of choice...at last i am published!
Hey, stumbled upon your blog, just got back from Tokyo and had the pleasure of Kagaya as well.
Craziest dinner of my life!
Our video of our experience is at youtube.com/allynhhs if you want to check it out!
-a&p
You could not find it by ur self is lame.
Post a Comment