When you think of Japan, one of the first things to cross your mind is fish. Fish-smells fill the air of Tokyo streets creating the same kind of comforting aromas of NY’s coffee shops. This fish aroma is nothing like the seafood section of American supermarkets: it's savory and sometimes almost sweet. The wafts of roasted fish and warm miso fill your lungs with a kind of hotness that is at once satisfying and hunger inducing.
Tokyo is home to Tsukiji (pronounced: skee-jee) Fish Market, the largest and probably the freshest wholesale fish market in the world. If it is a sea creature that humans eat, from baby eels to giant tunas, it is sold by the ton at Tsukiji and it can be guaranteed that it was swimming in the ocean less than a day ago. According to my guidebook 2000+ tons of fish are sold here everyday which amounts to $15.5 million dollars of cash exchanging hands during the four hours the fish market is open.
The merchants and fishers who run Tsukiji have inherited the job from their fathers, and their fathers from their fathers reaching as far back as 22 generations. The auctions of the giant tunas and swordfish seem chaotic and unorganized, but they have been selling the fish in this manner since the market opened.
We had to wake up early (3:45am) to catch the action; the inner market gets started around 5am and has everything packed up without a trace by 8am. Groggy and a little grumpy (especially me, I’m NOT a morning person) we jumped in a taxi, a rare occurrence since taxis are so expensive in Tokyo, and made our way to Tsukiji. Inside we saw what reminded me of Ursula’s witch lair in “The Little Mermaid”. The strangest, wildest, and gooiest looking creatures that God created were squirming around in various states of life and death, awaiting their ultimate fate of bringing smiles to hungry people's faces.
I would try to explain all that we saw there, but, in this case, a picture will speak a thousand words. I can tell you that I was surprised with how clean everything was and although dead fish carcasses abounded, the salty ocean was the only thing to smell.
Katie expressing her excitement about the fish market through sign language. The sun rises in Tokyo around 4-4:30am, so we made it outside just as dawn was breaking.
6 comments:
It's fun to read about all your Japanese adventures!
I am jealous you get to eat all that delicious Japanese food (I love seafood!)- you should learn how to cook it so you can share with us when you get back!
Your adventure sounds very fishy!!! HaHaHa The fish were awesome looking it would be fun to see them when they were in the ocean. Love Mom xxooxoxoxoxoxox
Looks like you had fun at the market. Did you feel the earthquake they had?
You're pictures are so cool. Ryan said he heard they were thinking about closing the market to tourists because they sometimes cause confusion/problems. Our family definitely needs to go soon!
You guys are the coolest travelers for waking up soooo early to experience Tokyo. I am impressed by the reported fresh smell of fish. It sounds much more appetizing the the fumes I remember from fishing trips with my dad off the Oregon coast.
Amanda, you're posts are always so eloquent! Sometimes I feel like I'm really there with you. I'm glad you are having such a great time!
Post a Comment