Saturday, August 15, 2009

Japan-The land of Earthquakes

Jonathan and I have been in several earthquakes during the last week and I have been on edge ever since. Here is a list of the strongest:
  • August 9 in the evening--7.1
  • August 10 early morning--6.4
  • August 12 early morning--6.6
Screenshot for a recent anime film
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

These are strong earthquakes, although when you are in an earthquake safe building even these large earthquakes feel gentle but other worldly. All of a sudden you feel yourself begin to sway, like the building is hula-hooping in slow motion beneath your feet. Flat screen TVs, precariously balanced on their plastic bases, begin to rock back and forth and if you you look closely you can see the glass in the windows ripple as if it were liquid. Earthquakes don't last very long, just a minute or so, but there is certainly something terrifying in those minutes that has to do with being out of control and waiting for life to happen to you.

This feeling of being out of control is something that I dread. It's a literal panic inducing terror, not just a discomfort. It's the same feeling I get when I walk on to an airplane. It's a lot of waiting and letting life happen. Granted, this is, in reality, the state of our lives every minute. I might believe I have some control, and because I flutter around too busy to think about what may or may not be happening around me, the capriciousness of life is easy to forget. But when you are standing in a door frame on the 13th floor praying for a building to stay erect although the ground is shifting beneath it, you come to realize what little control you have over the world.

For some people, this kind of life-is-out-of-my-hands revelation makes them feel free. With relief and trust, they leave their lives in the care of some higher power to do with it what he/she/it will. I would like to be more like those kinds of people.

But the earthquakes were also exciting. During an earthquake, Jonathan and I rush to the nearest door frame and hold on to each other tight until it's over. When we realize that all is well we are happy and excited. That is, unless, I have woken Jonathan up to live through an earthquake that he would have otherwise slept through...poor Jonny.

6 comments:

Clara Barden said...

Come home!!!!

Christa and Rob said...

Scary!! I don't know if I would love having absolutely no control over life or death on such a regular basis either...but it's kind of a cool experience i guess. :)

Morgan said...

He/she/it....bahahaha. I love you Amanda Jane.

Angela said...

Wow! That's a little bit crazy. It's a good thing Japan is so experienced at earthquakes.

Gary said...

You know don't you, that they have a counterweight in the top floor of the building that is moved in opposition to the motion from the earth quake. It prevents that uncomfortable motion known as "cracking the whip" that breaks buildings apart.

I am glad you are safe and that you loved the experience so much.

Unknown said...

I am glad you are in a city of technology. They are very prepared for those earthquakes, holy sheesh. I thought a 7 on the Richter was sure to tear down buildings. I am glad you are safe.