Baseball is a national past time here in Japan. People love the sport and they love their baseball players. Tokyo's team is called the Yukult Swallows and we have adopted them as our hometown heroes for the summer. There is the only one American on the team who also just so happens to be a crowd favorite, Jamie D'antona. They chant his name through thick accents while pumping their fists in the most civilized and reserved manner.As you would expect, Japanese baseball culture is bit different from what you might experience at...let's say, Fenway Park. There is no cursing the ump, no ranting, no raving. There is, however, contained excitement and a variety of group cheers that seem cute and celebratory instead of carnivorous. This is the Japanese way.
We've been to two baseball games so far and it's always been clean family fun.
This man is showing his approval of the Swallows in-fielding by giving a gentle tap on his banging sticks.
Was it raining?...
Watch this video for the Swallow Umbrella Wave.
Jonathan liked to bombastically show his support.
7 comments:
Although I'm not a sports fanatic, I think I could get into Japanese style baseball. Nice and dignified.
That was really really awesome. I loved the umbrella dance...I wonder why it hasn't caught on here? Maybe when we get a chance we should try to introduce it to Sox fans at Fenway...?
Haha - this is awesome. I wonder what the Japanese think when they attend one of our baseball games in America...I mean it's no wonder that a lot of foreigners thinks Americans are loud and obnoxious. We kinda are...lol
I'm a fan of the break-dancing mascot.
Was that squids with the hot dogs. The japanese really know how to live it up!
This post made me so happy. Imagining a Japanese baseball game will be up there with the poster guy making the funny face.
I love how the Japanese are so refined. Is it true that they are also very into blood types? I heard that the other day. Do tell.
AND thank you for complimenting the bathroom. Seeing as you've seen the before in person, you REALLY know how badly it needed a spruce up.
Post a Comment