Monday, May 23, 2011

Empire State of Mind

Yea, I stole the title of this post from Alicia Keyes and Shawn Carter, but it describes my life this summer.  "If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere." Please see the following video to understand more:


Alright, so, the truth is that I just wanted to hear this song and watch the video this morning.  My life in New York is not quite as sexy as this video would make you believe.  It probably has something to do with me trying to carry a stroller up and down the subway stairs or finding a bench to whip out the b@@b so Sawyer will stop crying.  But that's ok...I'll eventually adopt the attitude of being a hot mama like Alicia Keyes.

We've spent our first week in NYC and despite the rain (it's rained EVERY DAY since we've arrived), we've had a really wonderful time.

First of all, Jonathan really loves his job.  I don't know if you know, but Jonathan was able to land a job at his dream firm.  This is a particular blessing because the crummy economy is really hurting the law profession--so law jobs are hard to come by, especially those at big firms in NYC.   He was elated.  I was proud.  We are sure it was an answer to prayers.  So, yes, Jonathan is loving his job.  And his commute is short.  When he hits the trains right, he's looking at 25 minutes door to door.

We are living on a little island in the middle of the East River right between Manhattan and Queens, Roosevelt Island.  It's about 800--feet wide.  Sawyer and I walked all the way around it in about an hour.     The Island has a tagline, "Roosevelt Island--Where you can have your Manhattan and Leave it too."  I like it, because that's exactly what I'm looking for.  


Roosevelt Island has lots of parks and green space.  In fact, people all around the city travel here to play sports.  Every Saturday there's a farmer's market--where you can buy fresh produce, special farm-fresh meats, and a array of breads, cheeses, pickles, etc.  The Island also has a beautiful community garden (with a two year waiting list).  Families and strollers abound here.  There's really no commerce to speak of on the Island except for a grocery store, drug store, and maybe three restaurants.  So, it's really no place to have a party, BUT, it's the perfect place to hang out with your 2 month old baby.  I really love it here.  And the fact that it has no restaurants (eating out is where I spend 90% of our money), has forced me to cook almost every day so far--a feat for me since Sawyer's birth.  I wish you could see this place on a summer Saturday morning--it's something out of a movie--kids and families are everywhere, happy, healthy, and playing together.  

Another reason to love it here is that we are living in a newly renovated historic building called, The Octagon:  "In 1841 The Octagon opened as a beautifully designed island retreat by Alexander Jackson Davis, the era’s most influential architect, known for his lavish Hudson River estates. Davis’ design for the building’s signature five-story octagonal rotunda incorporated stately blue-gray stone quarried on the island..." Here's what it looks like today:


Pretty, right? We got a craigslist deal. We would have never been able to live here otherwise.  Our apartment has two large bedrooms, two baths, a full kitchen, and washer and drier all for about the price that we pay for our apartment in Boston.  However, although it's spacious and luxurious, there are even better reasons to love this place:

You get to take an awesome sky tram across the River into Manhattan!

 A pool!


And the view right outside my window!

There's also the gym membership, the media room, play room, and billiards room to consider...ahhh.  I could really love New York if we lived in a place like this.  I know I shouldn't be bragging, but I'm doing it for an even more selfish reason:  I want you to visit!  Yes, YOU.  There's plenty of room for you and whomever else you might want to bring.  And don't you want to swim in the pool on a humid NYC summer day? We need you!

And finally, our first family outing:  A 5 hour walk and picnic in Central Park.



After eating, Sawyer was so full that we had to unbutton his pants to make room for his belly:



8 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

SO CUTE! You must have some high octane milk there. I think in the past few days, he's become bigger than the Rubester. You look fab, by the way. And I can't believe you live in that awesome place. You guys are like celebrities. Maybe you really are Alicia Keyes. I've always suspected that.

Morgan said...

Um, can I say WOW! Your life sounds freaking awesome. And you look awesome by the way and yeah, that kid is gonna give you some muscles!

I do want to come visit. :)

Christa and Rob said...

WOW! You really managed to swing this summer right--Roosevelt Island sounds pretty darn ideal. How much does it cost to live there normally? It'd probably be worth it! I'm glad Jonathan's loving his job, and I can't wait to (finally) catch up with you to hear about how your new job is going. :) PS You and Jon did a good job...Sawyer is really cute.

ashley said...

OK, I'm sold on the whole visiting idea. How long will you be there? We'll pick a weekend soon.

Amanda+Jonathan said...

YAY!!! Come visit Ashley. We will be her until early July.

Heather said...

I sooo wish we could come and visit. I might have even drooled when you started describing your apartment. By the way, did I tell you that I loved carrying TR in a mai tai? It does a great job of distributing his weight across my back (unlike a ring sling), and I was able to nurse him in it while I was hiking. Plus, you could sew one on your own (or buy one).

Unknown said...

I read this before, but I guess I didn't comment. Weird? Anyway. Yeah! Love love love the cool island you're staying on. How fun. You're gonna remember this summer the rest of your life. Liam was born in April (remember?) and I loved our warm, relaxing summer in Provo. Not exactly NYC ;) but so nice to have slow lazy days with your handsome baby boy.

Dolores Weed said...

Wow! I love where you live. I want to come and visit!! Maybe we can rendezvous when Carrie comes home. I am so sad Char and kids aren't coming. Your little man is sooo cute! You are an amazing mom, and I find your honesty refreshing! Love you lots and can't wait to meet Sawyer. I'm home now, so if you come to PA, come see me!!