Thursday, September 22, 2011

Catching Up: Summer Festivals

There's lots to love about Tokyo.  I know this to be true, because I've been told that if I can enjoy Tokyo in the summer then I'll love it when I finally get to experience the city in the other three seasons.  Summers in Tokyo are sweltering.  People carry sweat cloths around with them wherever they go.  In fact, there's a whole industry devoted to space-aged fabrics, fashion, and other technologies to keep you and your pets cool while navigating the city.  Check out this article to see what I mean, "Dog Days of Summer in Japan Call for Quirky Ways to Stay Cool"

Just to peak your interest check out this photo from the article (there's also a video):
[JCOOL]
What is she pointing at?!?
Anyway,  one of my favorite things about Japan is the summer are the summer festivals called Matsuri. They are local neighborhood festivals that include dancing, music, traditional dress, and lots of alcohol. One night, when we abandoned Sawyer's bed time to check one out in a famous neighborhood called Ebisu.




If you look closely you can see older women dressed in kimono leading summer celebration dance.

These old men were in love with Sawyer and talked with us for like 45 minutes.  They were both drunk and kept saying the same thing over and over, but they were super sweet.  However, the one with the head band was definitely trying to spoon me from behind.  EGH.

Sawyer was extremely elated that he got to stay up late!

2 comments:

Katie said...

You got me "head band guy's" number, right?

Erin Gibbons said...

I LOVED the Sumo Baby post, totally cracked me up. It always seems the smallest/skinniest people have the biggest babies! Sawyer is getting even more and more handsome! I was totally thinking about NYC today and how much we loved it there, we're heading to Roanoke for a clerkship next year but maybe after that we'll be neighbors again! Hope all is well with you guys! (PS, Sawyer is 6 months old already right?!)