But, as always, fortune smiled down on us earlier this fall when our good friends the Bates let us use their car while they were traveling for two weeks. We didn't drive it much, but we did take advantage of our opportunity to drive to Newport, RI to see "The Breakers" something that has been on our "to do" list for a long time.
What is "The Breakers?" Well, in the late 1800's, a time period that historians refer to as the "Gilded Age," America's economy and population began to boom. This era was characterized by a kind of second industrial revolution and it spawned the super-rich families considered to be American royalty like the Rockefeller's, Mellon's, Carnegie's, Flagler's, Rogers', Morgan's, Astor's, and, of course, the Vanderbilt's. Among these mega-wealthy families, it was popular to build summer vacation homes, and the most wealthy built their summer retreats on Bellevue Avenue in downtown Newport, RI. "The Breakers" is the name of Cornelius Vanderbilt II's (he built railroads) summer home. It is the most ostentatious and celebrated of these ridiculously fabulous summer "cottages." We took our friend's car and went to see it!
It's hard to believe that in America there were people who lived like kings and queens in fairy tales. "The Breakers" has 70 rooms and more than 65,000 square feet of living space and nearly none of it is practical in any way. Among some of the most fabulous features of the summer home are a platinum-leafed room, a gold-leafed room, a room made of marble, a bathtub carved out of a big block of marble that had to be filled with hot water 10 times before it became warm enough to bath in, a mosaic tiled pool room, and more that I can't remember.
We weren't allowed to take pictures, but...here are some....er...photos...that...I uh...have:
After seeing the crazy-ornate and overwhelming breakers, we decided to visit another historic summer "cottage" that isn't know for it's fabulousness, but rather something much more fun: Its Green Animal Topiary Garden.
5 comments:
Ah, the adventures of Amanda Jane, Renegade Photographer and Quickest iphone Pull of The East!
Lol-- i love your stolen photos. Thanks for the sneak peak into such amazing america history. Last night I coincidentally watched an episode of "Stephen Fry in America." Have you heard of it? He travels through America and meets people and tells the interesting history of whereever he is. Anywho-- he totally went to the Breakers too! It's fabulous and I'd love to see it for myself. But if I can't, seeing it through your eyes will work too.
I swear I took you here in high school. Maybe not. Remember how my mom had a season pass to the "cottages" in Newport? And Bryan sat in the car and listened to his discman for two whole days while we visited the homes?
This was a fun post! So interesting about the what you said about how even with all the space, it wasn't divided in practical ways- I find that fascinating! And HOLY COW I see Saywer strapped to Jonathan and my back hurts just looking at it. How the crap do you pick him upon a daily basis???
I was just there a few yrs ago...actually have a pic on my fb somewhere. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love stuff like that.
Post a Comment