If for some reason you are actually worried about any of these things happening here are two pieces of information that may make you feel better: 1. In "StarTrek: The Next Generation" (Jonathan and I are watching the entire series on Netflix for family bonding time), the Starship Enterprise has encountered each of these fretful situations and has easily avoided injury, let alone the destruction of entire civilizations. If Captain Picard, Riker, Geordie, Data, Warf, Beverly, and Deanna Troi can figure something out, I'm sure that we can too. 2. Most religions, like mine, do believe that the earth will one day be baptized (by fire) to prepare it for when God will return to live amongst us. Although the process may seem violent and scary, the result is perfection and happiness so it will be worth it.
Anyway, this post is supposed to be about our New Year's celebration not about the end of the world...
Jonathan and I have adopted a Japanese tradition for celebrating New Year's. Instead of staying up late to ring in the New Year at the stroke of midnight, we wake up early in the morning to watch the first sunrise of the new year. Hopefully most of you groan when thinking about waking up before dawn. I was once like you. Now I have a baby who, unlike me, is an early riser. So, now, most mornings I'm awake before the sun rises anyway! Hooray. This year we invited Colin and Lizzie and the cousins to join us.
This New Year's went basically the same as all the rest: We wake up 15 minutes late. Jonathan runs down stairs to make homemade hot chocolate. He underestimates how much time this will take. I start to complain that we are going to miss sunrise anyway, we should just call it off. I'm totally a Debbie Downer in the morning. Jonathan responds positively and promises that we will make it. I get Sawyer bundled up. Then I complain that we should just watch the sunrise from a window or from the park across the street since we are running late and it's so cold outside. "It's easier," I say. But Jonathan assures me that we will have a great experience if we take a drive to a higher elevation. I pout. We load the car and start to drive. I continue to complain about Jonathan's driving. "Stop driving like a maniac!" "It's cloudy outside. We won't be able to see the sun." "Do you even know where you are going?" "Seriously, the sun is practically risen now anyway." Jonathan remains resilient to my negative attitude. We park and start to walk to our destination. I'm grumpy. I'm tired. I'm cold. I'm annoyed that Jonathan is so single-minded in this venture.
BUT then...We see the sunrise! This time over the silhouette of the Boston skyline. And I feel the sun warm my soul and melt my heart. I feel love for Jonathan and for our family. I feel gratitude for my happy life, my good health, and my excellent fortune. I feel inspired to make myself a better person, friend, daughter, sister, wife, and mother in 2012. And I feel delighted to be awake on a frigid Boston morning sandwiched between Jonathan and Sawyer. What a perfect way to celebrate New Year's.
Happy 2012!
Jonathan and I have adopted a Japanese tradition for celebrating New Year's. Instead of staying up late to ring in the New Year at the stroke of midnight, we wake up early in the morning to watch the first sunrise of the new year. Hopefully most of you groan when thinking about waking up before dawn. I was once like you. Now I have a baby who, unlike me, is an early riser. So, now, most mornings I'm awake before the sun rises anyway! Hooray. This year we invited Colin and Lizzie and the cousins to join us.
This New Year's went basically the same as all the rest: We wake up 15 minutes late. Jonathan runs down stairs to make homemade hot chocolate. He underestimates how much time this will take. I start to complain that we are going to miss sunrise anyway, we should just call it off. I'm totally a Debbie Downer in the morning. Jonathan responds positively and promises that we will make it. I get Sawyer bundled up. Then I complain that we should just watch the sunrise from a window or from the park across the street since we are running late and it's so cold outside. "It's easier," I say. But Jonathan assures me that we will have a great experience if we take a drive to a higher elevation. I pout. We load the car and start to drive. I continue to complain about Jonathan's driving. "Stop driving like a maniac!" "It's cloudy outside. We won't be able to see the sun." "Do you even know where you are going?" "Seriously, the sun is practically risen now anyway." Jonathan remains resilient to my negative attitude. We park and start to walk to our destination. I'm grumpy. I'm tired. I'm cold. I'm annoyed that Jonathan is so single-minded in this venture.
BUT then...We see the sunrise! This time over the silhouette of the Boston skyline. And I feel the sun warm my soul and melt my heart. I feel love for Jonathan and for our family. I feel gratitude for my happy life, my good health, and my excellent fortune. I feel inspired to make myself a better person, friend, daughter, sister, wife, and mother in 2012. And I feel delighted to be awake on a frigid Boston morning sandwiched between Jonathan and Sawyer. What a perfect way to celebrate New Year's.
| Colin, Lizzie, and their three boys: James, Hector, and Enoch. Notice how good Lizzie looks just rolling out of bed. I ask you, "Is this fair?" |
| Sawyer started the year in a fatty stage. He's still working on his resolution to learn how to walk so he can work off the extra chub. Also notice how I don't look good just rolling out of bed. |
4 comments:
Am having a hard time breathing enough thru the laughter, to write a cogent response. Thanks for the delightful and candid scene from your life. I particularly like the fact that you guys do great things and that Lizzie and Colin can join!
Ah, what a good wife you are. I make my husband do his Treking alone.
Oh, stop. You do so look good. In fact, I can't tell you how many times I've had the reverse thought: "Man, how does Amanda look so good right after showering/sleeping/giving birth, etc.?" (Okay, so that last one was just once. But still.)
That morning was so cold! But we were so glad we came with you. I like your family's tradition; we might even adopt it officially ourselves.
Ya, your posts are my favorite. Every time I read them I remember how much I adore you.
Post a Comment