One really great thing about Jonathan working for an American firm in Japan is that we get to celebrate both Japanese and American holidays. On Tuesday, Japan celebrated Showa day. Showa Day honors Emperor Hirohito who reigned during the 63 years between 1926 to 1989. As you may remember, those were some turbulent years in Japan's history, so while the holiday is held on Emperor Hirohoto's birthday, it's really about public reflection on all that Japan went through during those years: the end of the Taisho Democracy and the rise of Japan's militarism which let to the invasion of Manchuria, a period of government by assassination and coups, the rise of totalitarianism that led to World War II, the post war occupation, and the economic rise of Japan to become the powerful country it is today.
We celebrated by traveling to the outskirts of Tokyo to Kagone Park. We rented bikes to take us through the park all the way to Jindaiji Temple, where we ate treats and painted pottery. We stopped a long to the way to play in the river, pick flowers, and relax. We almost just stayed home, because the weather looked threatening, and it did rain a bit while we were out, but we had such a great time. I'm so glad we shook off our laziness and got out. Jonathan and I had been to this park before, when we were younger, freer (no children), and still in our puppy-love years. It was so fun to revisit memories from that hot summer day biking through the humid Tokyo "country-side" sharing ice cold drinks and wondering where we would end up by sunset. Sure, our visit was different this time. We shared our drinks with whiny kids and spent most of our energy keeping them safe, dry, fed, and comfortable instead of canoodling and adventuring as a couple. And although sometimes I really miss the days when Jonathan and I only had to worry about ourselves, there's something so unimaginably satisfying taking our kids with us and sharing experiences as a family. Who knew growing up could be so complicated, disappointing, and joyful, right?
By the way, I have never known the true beauty of Spring until I have lived through Spring in Japan (except for the allergies...I have had a sore throat for months.)
Handsome Sawsy...
Lyla loves her daddy.
At the end of the park and up a steep hill is Jindaiji Temple. Sawyer and I painted some pottery at a little shop nearby. He painted a little cup for himself and a little cat for Lyla.
Lyla makes little friends wherever she goes.
Here are our finished products.
2 comments:
Japan looks serene in the spring. I want to be there.
Ya, I want to plant some of those red bushes in my yard...too bad nothing survives in the desert! I love the pics. That Lyla - I just want to eat her up!
Post a Comment