It was a hot and muggy day, which helped add to the already ruminating odors wafting off our bodies. I have no idea what gave us the motivation to spend the day out like that, especially since we were so greasy and disheveled (my hair in the pictures will testify of our grunginess), but it was a really fun. Saturdays are always wonderful because Jonathan just wants to play and he has nothing to worry about now that he is out of school for the summer.
To be honest, although the grounds were quite pretty and unique, the tour was somewhat disappointing. The Imperial palace grounds are only open to the public twice a year for a few hours, so we had to see the Palace from afar. The imperial Palace grounds are huge. The Palace itself is surrounded by several moats and thick stone walls. Inside of the moats and walls is where the Imperial family still lives today. Japan’s Imperial family is almost as interesting and scandalous as the British one. The current Impress was the first commoner to ever marry into the royal family. The Japanese Imperial family is also the oldest royal family in the world.
The most exciting part of the day was when Jonathan and I, exhausted and sweating, decided to take a rest near one of the well-guarded entrances to the palace. About ten policemen guard each entrance to the Imperial Palace at any given time. As I walked by I saw several guards chatting with a man in a business suit. I didn’t think anything of it and went on with my conversation with Jonathan until I heard a man yelling and several feet scuffling in the pebbley walk way. I quickly turned my attention to see the man being arrested and dragged behind the huge wooden door. It was so exciting! It wasn’t long before a little Japanese police car drove up, lights flashing, and carried the man away. Jonathan and I like to think that we witness an assassination attempt on the Emperor.
We finally made it back home a little after lunch time and slept in our hot little apartment until the evening. It was the perfect Tokyo day.
2 comments:
I HAD been waiting anxiously for you to post again! The emperial palace sounds neat, and I'm glad Jonathan got to come, too. Can't wait to hear about what you were up to last week.
Do you think they need interns at the gardens there? That would be incredible!
Post a Comment