Thursday, June 07, 2007

Roppongi Hills: The Beverly Hills of Tokyo

Roppongi Hills is large upscale shopping/business community which was recently opened in 2004. It supposedly has brought a change to Roppongi which has, until recently, been known only for its nightlife and for its concentration of illegal activity. It has traditionally been the sight of several gang shootings each year. Until Roppongi Hills was built, there was no real reason to come to Roppongi during day light hours. Since Roppongi Hill’s opening, Roppongi has moved up in status and has brought in new business. Right next to our apartment another high-end community just cropped up a few months ago called Tokyo Mid-town. Between these two gigantic consumer dream houses, Roppongi has become quite the happening place. It is a center of design and of alternative art venues. It’s a fun place to live. Not to mention that Roppongi Hills boasts its very own Cold Stone Creamery (it’s Jonathan’s and my favorite).

In the middle of Roppongi Hills is a 53 story building called Mori Tower. On the 53rd floor there is an Art Museum (the highest art museum in the world apparently) and on the 52nd floor is a city view of Tokyo. Although I hate elevators, I decided that since I already proved my courage on the 12 hour flight to come to Japan, it wouldn’t take too much to ride an elevator for a few seconds. After a couple of deep breaths, I found myself looking out of walls of glass in awe of Tokyo’s cityscape. Tokyo is massive. I’ve never looked over an ocean of buildings before, but as far as my eyes could see Tokyo stretched on and on. It was both invigorating and a little frightening to see so many concrete structures and to imagine how many people must inhabit them.

I also visited the art museum on the 53rd floor and had my first taste of museums in Japan. A security guard, (who was dressed like a secret service agent, complete with a semi-hidden ear piece) followed me around everywhere I went. She also made me spit out my gum into a Kleenex, which was embarrassing. Not to mention that there is a laid out route that one must follow through the museum. A wrong turn will send a security guard after you to get you back on track. With my little experience in Japan, I am beginning to realize that this is just how Japan is. When it comes to procedure, it is a culture of black and white. There is no room for individuality (except when it comes to fashion).

There were two exhibits on display. The first was an exhibit of paintings by mentally/physically disabled children from a famous school in Japan that teaches its students through art. There were some really amazing and very touching pieces. I especially loved several pieces by a child who I assume is autistic due to the detailed and repetitive nature of her art. She created these huge poster size pieces using what looks like marker. I bought a couple of postcards which you can see below. The museum also had an extensive exhibit of Le Corbusier, who was known more for his architecture than for his art, although he produced thousands of paintings.

So this was the extent of my first day of venturing out on my own. It was fun, and it definitely inspired me to plan other daily adventures during the week. For FHE Jonathan and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean III, in English. Ahh... Although the movie wasn't exactly great, I definitely enjoyed sitting in a gargantuan theater next to my Jonathan.

This one was called "Forget me Not"
This one is "Walking in the Garden with Mother"
Some detail. See how the pattern is repeated perfectly over and over again, as if it was printed by a machine?
This is a Spider statue in the middle of Roppongi Hills. I felt very uncomfortable next to this thing. The creepiest part is that the statue has an egg sack which you can see when you walk under it. Yikes.
Although 53 stories isn't tall compared to American skyscrapers, it still felt incredibly high, especially when I looked down at this huge apartment building. (They don't build the enormous skyscrapers of America in Tokyo because of the inevitable earthquakes that will surely knock them down.)


Tokyo Tower. Look familiar?

Notice how few cars are on this highway running through the middle of Tokyo? The public transportation system is so good here that people would prefer to use it than drive their own cars. You'll hardly ever hit a traffic jam in Tokyo.

3 comments:

Angela said...

i'm so glad you went to a museum! and i really like the post cards you picked out. and way to make it through the elevator ride. i remember when we had to ride the elevators at the COB, so i know it was a big deal!

Unknown said...

That art is so touching and beautiful. You were smart to buy them. Hang on to them and frame them someday, they are keepers!

Gary said...

I am remembering being a young adult traveling to Los Angeles from Provo--without my own transportation--and feeling overwhelmed and intimidated by the extent of the city as my friend and I traveled for hours in her car thru un-ending and undistinguished urban sprawl. Then having to take the car across the city by myself and fearing getting lost. (Exacerbated by breaking my glasses and becoming essentially blind.) But experience gives confidence, and you are gaining experience and ability and that is good. I have travelled in LA many times since, and even gotten lost, without anxiety.
You will look back with amazement from your future experiences.