Sunday, July 22, 2007

4th of July

I know this is a little late, but I thought I would still share:

The Fourth of July has never been my favorite holiday. It always hits me off guard: “Oh yeah! Tomorrow’s the Fourth of July. Where are we going to watch fireworks?” It’s definitely one of the more fun holidays, but nothing I have ever looked forward to with wild anticipation, like say, Christmas or Halloween. This year, however, I took notice of the Fourth not because of some great reminder, but because of the complete void of American patriotism/commercialism surrounding me. You know that phenomenon when you don’t really appreciate something until it goes away? That’s how I felt with the Fourth of July this year. There were no fliers in the mail advertising picnic supplies, no juicy watermelon waiting to be eaten in the fridge, and no American flags and other such paraphernalia flying from neighborhood porches. This void of American patriotism caused a great pang in my heart as I imagined my friends and family writing their names in the night with sparklers, fingers still sticky from earlier eaten watermelon wedges. Just when I thought all hope was lost, we got invited to the coolest 4th of July party ever, well at least ever in Tokyo.

Jonathan and I received an official invitation to attend the Fourth of July party at the residence of the American Ambassador to Japan. Ambassadors are official representatives of the President in foreign lands so it is no surprise that 1. The Ambassador to Japan is an old friend of George W. Bush from Texas (he too has maintained his Texas drawl) and 2. The Ambassador lives in a huge, posh, and completely fabulous house in the very center of Tokyo. (It is the only place I have seen in Tokyo that has a yard, let alone grass.) Jonathan was privy to the guest list and assured me that generals, ambassadors, and politicians from around the world would be milling around the party just waiting for us to strike up a conversation. I wish I had the same confidence that Jonathan has when approaching these highly successful people. Jonathan just walks up to this or that highly ranked official and introduces himself like he is doing him/her a favor. Don’t get me wrong, he’s very gracious and very likeable, but he is also extraordinarily confident in these situations, which is very sexy to his wide-eyed small town wife.

For the occasion, I bought my very first white dress shirt. Jonathan, the wonderful husband that he is, ironed it perfectly crisp for me while I was in the shower. Jonathan, like always, looked very classy in his well-fitted suit and blazing red power tie. We arrived in style (Taxi) to the heavily guarded iron gates of the Ambassador’s residence. While everyone else had to wait in line to be screened for weapons and official invitations, one of Jonathan’s co-workers saw him and had us waved through the gate. Inside, live music was being played by a Marine band. It was raining, like it is everyday in Tokyo, but big tents were set up keeping people dry and comfortable. Food was everywhere. You could eat anything from a gourmet hotdog to tender roast beef, from delicious wild rice pilaf to classic potato salad. It was all there. Dominos, Cold Stone, Krispie Kreme, and many other famous American vendors were set up throwing their products out to the greedy guests starving for a taste of America. And of course, the liquor abounded. I felt completely at home by the time the band played “Born in the USA.”

The highlight of the party for me was when a choir of mentally handicapped children sang for the Ambassador in his living room. I was lucky enough to get an up close view and the whole experience seemed really familiar to me somehow. It would have described it as de ja vu, until all of a sudden I realized that these kids, well, young adults, were the artists of the exhibit I saw when I first came to Tokyo (see “Roppongi Hills: The Beverly Hills of Tokyo” from June). Their chorister was the women who had founded their school (a school for children with mental health problems) so many years ago. When the choir had finished, I went up to this amazing woman and told her how touched I had been by the art exhibit and what an inspiration she was. She just simply stated, “I have raised all those children with my own hands.” I hope that I can find the same passion for helping others that she has found.

I stuffed myself silly at the party. I talked to so many people, that by the end of the day I was unphased by meeting anyone who approached. Jonathan was almost hoarse by the end. I wish I had more pictures to share, but it seemed somehow inappropriate to ask to take a picture with someone trying to enjoy him/herself at our American party.

One of the funniest moments of the party was when we were talking with a General from Australia who was surprised that hotdogs were being served at such a classy event. He shrugged and said in his thick Australian accent, “But then again, it’s what you Americans eat, right?” Before he took a bite of his gourmet hotdog, Jonathan and I laughed and assured the hungry general that the “real” food was waiting inside.

It was a great time. Jonathan was in his element--maybe, at times, a little too comfortable. At home, I was happy to take off my heels. We spent the rest of the evening happily letting our stomachs settle.


General Larsen and his wife. Their oldest son Scott was Jonathan's trainer on his mission.

View of the Ambassador's fountain.
A parlor area in the Ambassador's residence.
This is some of the really good stuff.
Jonathan and I with Ambassador and Mrs. Scheiffer

View from the Patio.

This table was filled with cookies of every shape, size, and flavor.

You can see Jonathan's boss Ray in the bottom right hand corner, talking with an Air Force general. You can also check out the band playing up front.

Jonathan and Mr. Shikata, the Prime Minister's international press secretary. Jonathan and he are good friends.

A view of a reading room in the Ambassador's mansion. Jonathan and Jacob, a fellow intern and alum of the same undergrad.
Me and a handsome Marine sergeant that everyone calls "Wills."


Here I am with the founder of the Japanese school for children with mental health problems.
Here the the children singing "Amazing Grace."

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Amanda, I am totally in awe of the experience you are having in Japan. I love reading your blogs... when I see that there is a new one, I put it away, to save for a private moment of the day when I can get lost in the land of geishas, gardens and life in Tokyo in general. I pray that you come away from this summer with some wonderful memories and experiences. Take care!
Love, ML

clara said...

Amanda It sounds like you had a great 4th of July. Meeting all thsoe interesting people. And the house is great looking. I am glad you all were invited. I will talk with you later Love Mom xxooxoxoxoxoxoxo

clara said...

Amanda I have a confession I didn't quite read all your blog last night because I was late going to work so I finised this morning. Wow!!! Awesome food they really tried to bring America to Japan. Cool about the lady with the special needs kids. I can't believe Jonathan is so at home with these people that is great that he is comfortable and can fit in. It will probably help him go far. Will talk later Love Mom xxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo

Lizzie said...

Oh, wow--that's awesome. That's way better than any 4th of July party i've ever been to. You know, while reading this i was suddenly struck by the realization that I might just end up with a brother in the upper echelons of politics and power, which is a weird and great and alarming thought. I'm in awe of him, honestly; that Jonny-boy always did know how to schmooze. ;)

Angela said...

Looks awesome! What a cool way to spend the 4th. And you look beautiful in your new (and perfectly pressed) white dress shirt!

Michael Layton said...

Amanda, this is a great story and you tell it well. I can't help being a bit envious . . .

Gary said...

What a fun description of a wonderful day! It is sure fun to come here.

Let me put in writing a story I have told many times on Jon.

When we were first in Washington DC, I was to attend a conference in Philadelphia. Being so close and during the summer, I decided the bring the family. Jon (12) and Seth (14) came with me to the opening reception where all the attendees and officials would mingle and eat some good food. I instructed the boys to enjoy the food in a polite way while I made the rounds.

At one point I see Jonathan, always a confident and gregarious fellow, walking up to a man in a dark suit who was at an empty table. As I watched, they had a short conversation and Jon sat down to continue the discussion. I came nearer to see what was up.

Jon and the man were discussing Jon's CAP experience and Jon's interest in a future military career. Jon said that the West Point Military Academy seemed interesting to him. The man suggested that Annapolis was as good a school, maybe better. Jon said that he was disinclined to the Navy, "because they had strange names for their officers; ensign, Admiral, etc". Rear Admiral Paul Weiss, the Director of the Defense Special Weapons Agency, the host of the conference, was taken a little aback, and was looking down to see if his name badge had his title on it. He was not wearing a badge. We had a good laugh. When he got back to his office, he sent Jon a box of memorabilia, including a Captain's Hat, from the period when he commanded the USS Enterprise, a large aircraft carrier. When Jon received his Eagle Award in Scouting, ADM Weiss, then Commander of Pacific Naval Forces, sent Jon an engraved plaque.

So you see that Jon's easy confidence is not a new acquisition. Hopefully his social sense has matured! ;-)
Dad

karla said...

Wow! I'm jealous you got to go to such a high society event! It looks like you both fit in perfectly - very impressive!