Sunday, September 20, 2009

Another reason to love Mass: Newburyport, Ma

Last week Jonathan went out of town for more interviews.  It's been a stressful time for us, especially for him.  With school just starting and the race to find a great job in this horrible economy in the home stretch, Jonathan is really feeling the pressure of being a law student.  I feel bad for him, but at the same time his anxiety is certainly becoming a part of my daily life as well, so sometimes I'm not as supportive as I could be.  I'm sure everything is going to be fine, but we can't wait until this whole process is over.

In to other news, while Jonathan was out of town, Katie, my sis, and I decided to take a short day trip to Newburyport, Mass to visit Plum Island.  It was one of the most magical places I have ever visited.  Plum Island is a barrier island off the coast of Mass and so the ocean behaves very differently there than I am used to.  The surf broke in a million different places and in a million different directions.  Most magical though was a narrow (like 20 feet wide) piece of the beach that jutted out several hundred feet into the ocean, like a pier.  The waves broke all around us and at times it felt like we would be swallowed up by the ocean at any minute.  The sunset was magical.  Part of the sky was almost black with a rainstorm and the other part was perfectly blue and sunny. It was an experience I won't forget and one I hope to replicate soon.  Unfortunately, I sent the camera with Jonathan on his trip (no, he didn't take any pictures), so I didn't get to take any photos of our adventure. 
But here's one I found online to get your imagination going:

5 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

ooh . . . maybe you should take me there. Sounds enchanting.

Morgan said...

Agreed Charky, we should all go. Girls trip 2012!

Unknown said...

sounds amazing..... :)

Katie said...

Other amazing things about that beach: we saw someone paddle surfing. He looked like he was walking on the water from a distance. Walking on the sand was pretty much a pedicure, the very coarse sand exfoliated our feet. People were fishing on the sand pier. The houses were beautiful, and 75% of them had widow watches (whatever they are called). Amanda and I also were not overtaken by the Nothingness (because that is exactly what the storm looked like).

Awesome day, with an awesome sister. You girls should be jealous! :)

Lindsay said...

My uncle got married in Newburyport when I was 12. I thought the town was magical then. I went back a few years ago and now I think I could live there. At least for a little while. What a beautiful place.