School starts for me this morning, and although I am excited for this new academic year, I'm also sad to see summer go. I was made for summer. It's strange how happy and truly comfortable I feel when the sun shines down from a clear blue sky and fresh green leaves fill the trees. When I walk outside and feel the summer air wrap itself around my bare skin, especially the spot just behind my knees, I feel free and light and happy.
Good bye summer.
I had to live up the last few weeks of my summer vacation. Here's how I spent my time:
August 23: Flew home to America. Spent the night in Atlanta to prepare for my week long, solo roadtrip from Atlanta to Boston.
August 24 and 25: First stop, Raleigh, NC, my childhood home:
South of the Border. If you have not been to this ridiculous tourist destination, you should add it to your list. I held my pee for an hour (a feat for me) just so I had a reason to stop here.
My red-haired grandma and my dinosaur-loving Uncle Pete. They live in deep south North Carolina. The kind of place you think only exists in books. I hadn't been there since I was a teenager. It was nice to return to my roots.
This is my childhood best friend Elizabeth. Although I don't see her often, she is one of the few people that I feel cosmically connected to. We spent our evening eating delicious pizza, talking, and playing rock band.
August 25 and 26: Second Stop, Northwestern, Va, Home of my Dad, Step-mom Clara, and Bellita
I love visiting my Dad and Clara. Their house is a country paradise. They are always doing something fun. I neglected to take pictures while I was visiting them. So here is one that shows my Dad admiring his beautiful yard and their house. My dad is obsessed with mowing the grass. Dad and Clara have a Koi pond, several gardens, a hammock, and tree swing, woods and the list goes on and on.
August 26-31: Third stop Northeastern PA, Mom and Ron, Justin and Olivia, Charlotte and the Kiddies, and Dolores. I made an extended stop in my home town because I had so many people to visit. My mom and I sewed one day. I went to church. I visited my grandparents. Ate Dandy Pizza at Justin's. And I cooked Olivia's first day of school breakfast. It was an exciting visit.
Olivia's First day of Kindergarten. Her bookbag was as big as her.
Then there is Dottie, my name sake. I brought her back some Japanese panda stickers and she went about decorating herself with them.
August 31: Boston, MA, Home.
Home! I was reunited with my stressed out husband, Jonathan who had 29 interviews the week I was away. I love him. I love where we live. It was so nice to arrive home, finally. The next week I cleaned and unpacked our house. Went night swimming with friends in Walden Pond. Picked blueberries and raspberries at a local farm. Saw "500 Days of Summer." Laid out on Singing Beach. And had a Jane Austen girls night. Now it's time for school
I wish I took pictures of Walden Pond the night we went swimming. There was a full moon and stars, and it was perfect. But I went back the next day...
Thoreau's Cabin at Walden Pond
Thoreau
Walden Pond
Berry Picking
Farm made Soda
Singing Beach
Jonathan Body Surfing
Our friends from the Lane
Me trying to be a mermaid
Singing Beach
2 comments:
I love picking berries...and eating them - YUM! So, what did you think of 500 Days of Summer? I think it's the best movie I've seen in a long time personally. Oh and btw, Olivia is SO cute. How could you ever fear that you'd have not cute kids when you have a niece that is so precious? Silliness. Glad you're home chicita - I love you.
Only in the east is Walden a pond. In New Mexico it would be honored as a major lake! I hope the idyllic last three weeks are a springboard for a great semester.
Post a Comment