Sunday, September 06, 2009

Last Days in Tokyo, Wrapping up the Summer

We've been back in America for almost two weeks now.   It's very nice to be home.  I have to say that late summer in Massachusetts is refreshing after the hot and humid city-dwelling of Tokyo.  I can't say that I will miss Tokyo but I can say that it was a memorable summer.  On another note, I've decided to keep our blog going, even through we are no longer in Japan.  We'll see how often we have something interesting to post now that we are back in our natural habitat (school, studying, etc...)

But before the blog becomes mundane with the random experiences of our native lives, I thought that I would close out our Tokyo summer with one last post featuring our final summer adventures in the far and distant land of Japan.

Tim Boisvert:
Tim is an excellent friend.  I love him.  He is sporting the scripture bag that I made him.  It has a tiger on it!
This is the goodbye cake that Tim bought us at a couture confectionery Tokyo Midtown.  Rich and Chocolaty.
Although I was not paid for my work at the CIE, they did reward me with a Iron Chef style lunch at Argo, a Japanese/French fusion restaurant overlooking the imperial palace. I really enjoyed my work there.
 
First Course:  Spinach ball with mackerel, squares of salmon and sweet potato and a foam dipping sauce, mushroom soup, and three kinds of tofu (shizu, lime, and paprika) with sea salt and microgreens.
Second Course:  Veggies, some kind of shrimp spring roll, and little pieces of meat from a special muscle on a baby calf's neck that helps it drink its mother's milk (apparently, the muscle disappears as the baby grows up.)
 
Some kind of delicious fish, with a baby stuffed eggplant, arugula, and stewed tomatoes.
Dessert: Chocolate cake with sea salt and raspberry sauce, mint ice cream with a brittle wafer, pineapple jelly, and mint tea.
Mori-san, the boss at CIE.  He liked to bring us ice cream when we were working hard.
My CIE friends.
Pics from the Summer Festival in Ebisu:
 
  
This is my really good friend Michelle who entertained me during the days in Tokyo.  We had sewing parties together, went shopping, and ate delicious food.  She's really fun.
  
  
  
Jonathan standing with Buddha's Sandal in Asakusa.
 
Geisha Performing at a Meiji Hall. Enchanting:
 
  
Take a look at these Geishas' Faces up close by clicking on the picture:
 

3 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Oh, I love it. PLEASE let's eat good food when I go to NYC with you. I'm glad you and I are on the same coastline at least for a little while.

Unknown said...

Awww! That looks like such a fun way to say goodbye. I think your blog is making me crave Japanese food. I am sure your friends in Japan miss you so much. Especially the Tiger scripture guy and the sewing friend. But not nearly as much as I miss you.

Mae said...

Wow the summer is over! Glad you made it home safely! (i know how you feel about planes) and even more glad that you are going to keep up the blog! WE love being updated on your crazy busy, exciting and adventerous life!