Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Catching Up: Sawyer Was a Lab Rat

Every once in a while a Harvard lab will call me and ask if they can conduct and experiment on Sawyer.  Usually they just show him a movie and then watch what he does.  This time they called and asked if they could put probes on his head.  In exchange I would receive $5 and Sawyer would get a prize.  Sign me...er...I mean, my son, UP!

Jonathan and I both took him because we were sure it would be fun to see what Sawyer would do with probes on his head.  Once they had the probes in place they showed Sawyer a silly movie of people reaching for toys.  The people would reach for the same toy a few times in a row and then suddenly reach for another toy!  Gasp! They wanted to see how Sawyer's brain would react to the change.  Jonathan held Sawyer and I went behind the screen with the researchers.  Sawyer contentedly watched the movie.  I watched his brainwave patterns from the corner of my eye.  I didn't really see anything register...I hope his brain is working correctly.  Eek.  Of course the researchers wouldn't tell us anything.

But we gladly took our fresh, crisp $5 bill and bought ourselves some ice cream on the way home.

Sawyer handled the probe hat rather well.  At first every time the researchers put it on, he would reach up to yank it off.  But he got used to it fast enough.  Jonathan told him if he was good, he could have a bite of ice cream...we believe in using sugar to bribe children as early as possible.

2 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Your kid is brilliant. The results were so shocking, they just didn't want to tell you.

Gary said...

Like a zap cap, but different!