A lot has changed with our little boy in the last two months. Every day he's becoming less and less of a baby, and more and more of a little boy. Most notably, Sawyer has become mobile. He crawls over, under, and around anything and anyone he chooses. Jonathan often calls him a little soldier because Sawyer still uses his elbows and knees to crawl while dragging his adorable, bloated mid-section along the floor. He has been experimenting with proper crawling positions more lately, but his attitude is, "Yea, I get it, but why change the status quo? I like dragging my belly anyway." I like it too! After Sawyer eats, I let him crawl across the carpet to wipe off any remaining food particles from his outfit. The same concept works with his drool. If he stops to play with a toy for a moment, undoubtedly a puddle of drool will pool beneath him. But do I rush to sop it up? No! No need. Sawyer will just soak it up with his belly when he moves on to his next exploration. Sawyer's drool also has a polishing effect on hardwood floors (ehhh....)! Sure my carpet isn't what it used to be, but it's more than worth it to see Sawyer set off on his own in search of the thing he wants, instead of whining for me to get it for him!
This new mobility has, of course, made Sawyer more interested in everything dangerous in the world instead of the mountain of toys he has to play with. Every other minute I find Sawyer biting a cord, putting his fingers near outlets, our picking something off the floor to put in his mouth. The other day, I watched him contentedly sucking his thumb, but after more than a minute of undistracted, super-passionate, uber-slobbery sucking I went in for a closer look, and found that it was not thumb, but rather a battery that was commanding his attention so thoroughly. Great. He also often slams his fingers in drawers or closes them in cabinets.
| Stairs! Sawyer plans to conquer these soon. |
| Out on an adventure! But wait, where's mom? |
Sawyer may look a lot like me, but he definitely gets his personality from his dad. Although Sawyer is very happy, he's not a smiley baby. He smiles, for sure, but he doesn't smile on command. Something must be genuinely pleasing for this kid to crack a smile. And you have to really, really earn a laugh (unless he's punchy from exhaustion). When he meets new people he gives them a sweet grin and then coyly rests his head on my shoulder, as if to say, "Aw...shucks. I'm not THAT cute." It's adorable. He's happiest when he is around people. The more people the better for Sawyer. Sawyer also has an angry side. He viscously throws toys out of his way when he doesn't like or doesn't want them. He growls. Bears his teeth. Balls his fists. And cries out in frustration when things don't go his way. It's really rather cute, for now.
Sawyer always smiles when...
| swinging... |
| eating... |
| and bathing! |
Sawyer has developed a very nasty biting habit. He bites all the time. He's happy, he bites. He's hungry, he bites. He's tired, he bites. Seriously, it's getting out of control. I think he might be teething some molars, I'm not sure. But whatever is going on with him, I'm suffering major bruises and some under the skin bleeding from it. I've tried dealing with it in a number of ways, but to be honest, sometimes I just react out of instinct, and end up smacking, yelling at, and spanking him. Not good. Mostly because it doesn't work, but also because afterward I'm wracked with guilt. I don't hurt him, at least not physically, but still...He doesn't get that he's hurting me. And when I punish him, he doesn't understand it's because he's biting me, because he just goes in immediately for another chomp. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it soon. So far, he hasn't bitten any children, but I know the day will soon come. Any suggestions on how I can fix it? Check out my battle scars. Look closely you will see fresh bites and old bruises:
Hmmm....what else?
- Sawyer LOVES brushing his teeth. He lets me brush his teeth forever. It's a pleasure for him.
- Sawyer has developed a taste for meat. I've finally started giving him meat. Somehow, I felt like I would be corrupting him if I fed him meat, but I'm over that now. It's a good thing, because Sawyer is without a doubt a carnivore. Really, he eats anything. The other day he ate a full helping of Brussels Sprouts without a single protest.
- Sawyer still loves the bath, and now that he crawls, the tub has become a wondrous playground for him.
- Sawyer is starting to combine consonants and vowels to form word-like sounds. His favorite combo: dat. Jonathan pretends that he's actually saying, "Dad." I go along with it, because it makes him happy. He really is saying "Dad", I think, but I don't like to admit it.
- Sawyer weighs around 26lbs and wears size 18months clothes. He's hefty, but he's been slimming down a bit since he started crawling. We want him to stay nice and fat, so I've considered starting to feed him a pad of butter every morning for breakfast.
Ok. Nine months down! A lifetime to go. We love Sawyer. We love his cuddles. We love his coos. We love everything about him. He's changed so much in just nine months, and we can't even imagine what our little guy will be like in another nine!
7 comments:
My keyboard i broken o let ee if you can read thi comment!
Be till my beating heart! No onder you love thi boy o much. Hi eye and hi mile jut make me go all goey inide. He eem like uch a perfect amalgamation of you and Jonathan. mart and picy and kind and cuddly and curiou. I jut love hi o much already. I ill try my hardet to charm him hile in Tea!
Wow. Awesome comment, Becca. I love Sawyer so much! What a doll!
Haha! Becca, you're hilarious. Amanda, I can't believe the bites! Holy crap! I wish I had some advice to give you, but I got nothin'. Have you tried biting him back? That's probably bad, but probably what I would do. lol! At least he's cute and cuddly right?
SO AWESOME (except the biting of course) But I love how Jonathan is THE DAD and the BIG authority and Baby Sawyer totally gets that! I like that. I concur- he IS morphing into a kid- his face and everything. TOO FAST!!!!
The baby days are almost over! I love that he likes to play rough- I can't wait to squeeze him and throw him around.
Wow what a great post! You really capture what it is like to raise a little boy. He is delightful, I ache to meet him and hold him and to play with him. I love the videos. We need some grandson/grandaddy bonding time! I miss you too Amanda- you are funny and sweet.
I am trying to say something funny about being bit, but can't think of anything. Ouch! Rebecca always was able to respond philosophically....well maybe not.
I love Sawyer. This post captures so much about his big personality and chubby charms--what a sweetie. I had no idea his biting was so bad, though!! He's like a little piranha!
Post a Comment