Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy 2013!

Woa.  2012 was intense.  Here's what happened (in chronological order).  Feel free to skip this part, I'm just writing the list so I can remember one of the most eventful years our our lives:

  1. Jonathan joined the Romney campaign as a legal intern.
  2. We bought a new car.
  3. We found out we were pregnant with #2.
  4. Jonathan spent Spring Break in Japan, while Sawyer and I visited family.  We had really wonderful birthday parties for him in both PA with my Mom and Va with my Dad and Clara.
  5. Sawyer turned 1!
  6. I spent the month in San Antonio with my best friend Charlotte as she was recovering from surgery.
  7. Roommate Reunion! 
  8. Sawyer said his first words: "hot," "car," and "bus."
  9. Jonathan graduated from law school.
  10. Sawyer learned to walk.
  11. Jonathan studied for and took the Bar exam.
  12. We apartment hunted in NYC all summer, and finally found a place.
  13. Packed up our apartment!
  14. Spent 2 weeks in New Mexico with Jonathan's family.
  15. Moved into our new place in NY and have made lots of new friends.
  16. Spent tons of money buying carpets so our grumpy neighbor downstairs would be less bothered by Sawyer's playing.
  17. Jonathan started work.
  18. I turned 31!
  19. Lyla was born 2 weeks late and within 4 hours of the first sign of labor!
  20. My Dad and Clara came to visit and brought "It's a Baby Girl!" signs.
  21. Jon's mom stayed with us for two weeks to help with the new baby.
  22. My apartment building started renovations on the elevator which means that we walk up five flights of stair every time we leave our house.
  23. Jonathan turned 31!
  24. We found out that Jonathan PASSED the bar exam.  Wahoo!
  25. We hosted Thanksgiving at our new place.
  26. We all caught the stomach flu.  Sawyer threw up in Jonathan's mouth.
  27. My mom came out for five days to help with the new baby and caught our stomach flu.  Sad.
  28. Jonathan was sent on a week long business, leaving me alone with the kids.
  29. We caught the stomach flu again.
  30. Katie, my sister, came for a week long visit.
  31. Lyla caught the flu and she and I spent three days in the hospital until she got better.
  32. I crashed our car (see #2 on the list) on the way to the doctor and sprained my wrist.  I caused around $4000 worth of damage.
  33. Christmas!  I got an iPad!
  34. We celebrated New Year's Day with a visit from Jonathan's dad and youngest brother Edward.
What did I forget? Probably a lot.

Anyway, 2012 was full of exciting times, but since I didn't chronicle them, my memories of the year will soon be reduced to the short sentences listed above.  That makes me sad. It's a shame really that so many important changes happened in our lives, and we won't really remember how they made us think and feel.  I've decided to never allow this to happen again by once again renewing my commitment to writing them down here.  It's a New Year's resolution.  

The Goals:
  • Make a written post at least once per week.
  • Post a photo of some family "happening" each day.
So today's photo is (in line with our family's new year tradition) a photo of the first cold and cloudy sunrise of the year:

Strads 365, Entry #1:  The First Sunrise

7 comments:

Morgan said...

Dang! That was an eventful year! I'm just going to comment on a couple here - Firstly, the roommate reunion was awesome. I had no idea you crashed your car - we need to talk more often. Lastly I read some thing just yesterday that said that drinking 4 oz of 100% grape juice a day will ward off the flu - probably a myth, but I thought I'd share anyway. LOVE YOU!

Jessica Clark said...

Holy cow! Most of those I knew about, several I didn't. Like crashing the car and you and Lyla going to the hospital for 3 days. NOT COOL! Poor little thing. I can't imagine. Having a new born sick ah I'd be a mess and then you were sick on top of that...wow. I'm really enjoy reading these so I EXTRA hope you keep your New Year's goal! XO

Unknown said...

Awesome list~ I should copy you but I probably won't. We will talk soon. We need to before I shrivel up and die.

Clara Barden said...

...did you forget one set of visitors...:(
So excited to read about you again!!!!
Love to all!

Lizzie said...

I feel really, really guilty right now.

I am so sorry about Lyla, and the car! How horrible!

I hope the beginning of 2013 is WAY WAY better than the end of 2012.

Dolores Weed said...

I love your blog, your year in a list, and I love you!! Sawyer is gorgeous, and Lyla is beautiful!! I can't wait to meet her in person. Let me know when you come to T town!

gardeniagirl said...

Since when does my mom call Towanda T-town?
You're winning on your resolution, by the way.