Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Kamakura and the Giant Buddha

So, remember when I was complaining about how Jonathan was sleeping at the office because he was working so much?  Remember when I said I had no hope that anything was ever going to change, even though there were promises being made that this work load was exceptional?  Well, luckily, I was wrong.  After two and a half months of my husband being a lawyer zombie, his deals finished, he washed his hands and didn't have any work to do for two weeks!  Literally, Jonathan was without work for two weeks.  He went in to the office for five or six hours a day, sometimes less, just to say that he showed up, but other than than he was with us!  Heaven....seriously.  

On one of these slow days, we decided to spend the morning in Kamakura, which is a little tourist city an hour train ride north of Tokyo.  Kamakura is the home of the Giant Buddha which is on the title banner of my blog.  Jonathan and I have both spent a significant amount of time here in the past, but we've been promising to take Sawyer here since he discovered the Giant Buddha in a book we read him called "Tokyo Friends." 

Not surprisingly, Sawyer and Lyla were much more interested in picking up the large gravel rocks all around the grounds than in the Giant Buddha itself.  Sawyer got carried away and threw a fistful of rocks at some other tourists who were fortunately agile enough to duck and swoop out of the way.  We're pretty sure that Lyla swallowed a few rocks after double fisting several handfuls into her mouth.  We are terrific parents.












Sawyer showing off his pudding-filled Giant Buddha cookie.

After seeing the Giant Buddha which visited another shrine with a gorgeous garden and lots and lots of little god statues.





No comments: