Saturday, June 13, 2009

Family Fun at Carabelle Beach

I come from a very moderately sized American Family. With just a brother and a sister, my family get-togethers are fairly easy to arrange and accommodate, even now that we are beginning to get married. I never really thought of the size of my family until I married Jonathan. Jonathan is the fourth of nine children. NINE CHILDREN. For many of you reading this, you think, “Oh, the happy Mormon family of eleven. It would’ve been great if they could have made it an even twelve.” I think “Egad.” Nine. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, NINE, plus mom and dad. The fabulous thing is that all nine children are really wonderful, loving people. Every one. No black sheep in Jonathan’s family. I’ve really come to love them all individually and as a family unit, but when Jonathan’s parents announced plans to hold the first week long family reunion at a single beach house, my eye began to twitch with the thought of 20 people, including 6 (eight if you count the two dogs) children under the age of 10, all under one roof.

What catastrophe may occur? What strained family relationships might make them selves apparent under the pressure of communal living? What awkward circumstances might I find myself in as new member of the club?

I am happy to report that with the exception of the family war cry about a super-hero toaster (??), I felt right at home. We all had a fabulous time at Carrabelle. Delicious food. Excellent company. And of course...the beach. Carrabelle had softly lapping waves that made it ideal for a relaxing float. The sand was particularly soothing to the feet, it was almost flour-like in consistency. And, the best thing about the beach...hermit crabs, tons of them. They kept us entertained for hours (Hermit crab rescues, races, hotels, and even a zoo of sorts.)

Although NINE children are certainly not in the cards for Jonathan and me, I can now see the appeal of large families: always someone to hang out with, never a quiet moment, there’s always a partner in crime.

It was an amazing week long vacation. We all got to know each other better. Play together. Relax together. Chase after kids together. Oh, and I was even given a pedicure (thanks Suz) ! It was the ideal family reunion. We can’t wait for the next one. Thanks so much Mom and Dad.



Almost All of us.

Hermit Crab Corral

My man.


6 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Amanda. Come on. You need to fix your font color. I can't read ANYTHING from this post. Lurves you.

Mae said...

Sounds like it was SO much fun!

Joe said...

The beard on Jonathon is fantastic. Wish I could grow one.

Lizzie said...

You're not the only one who doesn't know where to look when the Toaster Anthem starts--Colin definitely looked a little freaked out this time (and i have to admit, i don't have the same enthusiasm i had for it when i was 12). I love Jon's sand "body"--those are some awesome pecs he's got there.

I really miss you guys.

Unknown said...

Hey, that looks like a lot of fun! You guys have great families. No wonder you two are so awesome. I love the hermit crab corral. My kids would go CRAZY if they saw all those crabs.

clara said...

Amanda I didn't realize Jonahtan was going to work out when you guys were in Florida?!? So you'll have to tell me what kind of games you played with the hermit crabs. I loved the pictures and it sounds like you had a really good time. Love Mom