Sunday, June 21, 2009

R.I.P. Ling Ling

One of my first outings last time I was in Tokyo was visiting the Tokyo Zoo. I remember it being a particularly wonderful trip because I got to see Ling Ling drowsily walking about his cage in all his giant panda glory. It was really a unique experience because these giant pandas sleep the majority of the day. It felt like a special gift, and I fell in love with Ling Ling, because he made me happy when I was nervous and doubtful about my Tokyo life.

So, now that I am back in Tokyo, I decided to make the Trek to Ueno Zoo again to visit my friend Ling Ling. You know, I just wanted to get started on the right foot. Upon entering her enclosure I was met by this tragic information:
Not really the memorial that Ling Ling deserves! I mean, it seems kind of cold doesn't it? And why is Ling Ling's name in quotations?! It was his name! I was obviously upset. Poor, Poor Ling Ling. He was only 23 years old the equivalent to about 70 in human years. Oh, life is short.

In his enclosure area was a time line of Ling Ling's life:
One of the first events on the time line was represented by this picture:
Yes, that's right. These are Ling Lings parents...The caption says "KanKan and RanRan copulating." (animal copulation, literally: "mingling tails" or, more colloquially, "bumping ends".)

It was followed by this picture:
Sweet Baby Ling Ling.

Otherwise the zoo was really fun. I saw a baby rhinoceros which was really cute, a hippo opening its mouth 180 degrees, and a giraffe eating its afternoon snack.

Here are a few of the animals:




Finally, I wanted to show you an example of a less than perfect English translation:
This was at the entrance to the exhibit featuring nocturnal animals.

2 comments:

clara said...

I enjoyed the pictures of the different animals. Love aMom xxoxoxoxox

clara said...

Ps Sorry about Ling Ling Love Mom xxoxoxoxoxox