Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Christmas 2011:

We spent Christmas at home in Boston this year!  It was a milestone: Our own family Christmas! Jonathan and I talked a lot about how we wanted our Christmas to be full of tradition.  I'm sure we will get better at bringing the spirit of Christmas into our home as we carve out our own way to bring pomp and circumstance to the season.  This Christmas was fun and we definitely did have glimmers of that magical Christmas feeling, but next year we hope will be even better!

Highlights from this Christmas are:

The Tree:  We decided that since this year we would be celebrating Christmas at home, we had to do so in true Christmas fashion with our first real Christmas tree.  Here it is in all it's glory on Christmas morning!


The  Stockings--Both Jonathan's and my family have extravagant stocking traditions.  In my family, my mom fills stockings with the coolest, most fabulous toys, trinkets, accessories, cosmetics, etc that you could ever hope for.  Opening my stocking was always my favorite part of Christmas.  Jonathan's family also has an extreme stocking tradition, except their's focuses on food.  Jonathan's parents fill stockings with elaborate and exotic food stuffs for the family to snack on all day, since there is no formal meal on Christmas.  This year Jonathan was in charge of stockings and he followed in his parents' footsteps.  From tapenade and jams to fruit and cheese to chocolate and peppermint sticks we had more than enough to keep our bellies full and our tongues delighted all day.




The Kids--Jonathan's sister, Lizzie, and her husband along with Sawyer's three little cousin's also live here in Boston.  And since Christmas is much more fun when kids are involved we went to watch James, Hector, and Enoch open some presents on Christmas morning.  They were so sweet opening each of their presents.  And the hilarious part was that they seemed to enjoy the simplest presents (like the $1 toys) more than the large, expensive ones.  Just like Sawyer's favorite gift was the clementine in his stocking.



Church--Since Christmas was on Sunday this year, we went to Church on Christmas morning.  To be honest, I was kind of dreading the prospect.  I like staying in my pajamas all day and lazing about the house on Christmas.  It's fun.  It's cozy.  It's an excuse to be lazy.  But once we were at church, singing Christmas carols, and hearing talks about the true meaning of Christmas...it really helped to put the day into perspective.  Christmas is really about remembering the life of Jesus Christ.  Thinking about his goodness and mercy.  Learning of the love he demonstrated for us and for others and showing gratitude for it by emulating him in our interactions with all those around us.  Christmas is about charity: Christ's charity and our own meager attempts to develop charity in our own lives.

And finally, THE PRESENTS--Jonathan, Sawyer, and I made out like bandits this year!  Our families were so excited for us to have our own Christmas and so eager to make it wonderful, that we had lots and lots of gifts under our tree!  To sum up:  Sawyer received a Fisher Price Nativity Set from us, a funny hat and fleece blanket from G&G S, a toy car from Grammy R, gift cards to get lots of books from G&G B, and clothes and other spoils from Aunts and Uncles!  My big gift was a Kindle touch and a new house coat.  Jonathan got Bonsai tools and new dress pants.  We are spoiled!









6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your Christmas pics, especially the one with Sawyer in his goofy hat. Such a charmer! It looks like you guys did a great job starting your own family traditions too. I agree with you on stockings being the best!

FeistyHistoryGal said...

Oh!! Sawyer and that HAT!!!! That made my morning!

Morgan said...

This was a sweet post. I'm so jealous that you documented your Christmas so well and started traditions! Your tree looks so festive and there do seem to be quite the load of presents underneath! I'm happy that you posted so many pictures. You look fabulous as usual. The stockings filled with goodies have me salivating. And I have to agree with Becca, that hat on Sawyer is so adorable.

Jessica Clark said...

I have to give a shout out at that pretty dark ocean blue robe- sooo pretty

Gary said...

This was a wonderful post Amanda. I have to admit that I really did LOL at the photo of Sawyer and Enoch- they are like twins!

Christmas wil continue to be a wonderful time that your children will look forward to and remember with fondness.

Danelle said...

Ooh, Amanda, you look so fetching in your fleece lined robe! This post has got me excited for our own Christmas this year, and hopefully we get to establish some traditions of our own. :-)