If I believed in reincarnation, I would imagine that Jonathan was a Japanese man in another life. It's more than a fascination with Jonathan, it's a connection with the people and the culture that runs deep, and although I don't understand it, I have learned to respect it and even embrace it sometimes.
One of the coolest traditions in Japan is the country's New Year celebration. In Japan, the New Year is the most important holiday on the calendar. It's a time when families come together, eat, (drink a lot), celebrate, and rejuvenate. Instead of staying up late on New Year's Eve (although I'm sure many of them do), the tradition is to climb to a high place (like a mountain) on New Year's morning to watch the first sunrise. It's romantic and symbolic. More about ushering in the hope that comes with a New Year. We've adopted this tradition for the last couple of years. It usually frigid, and I'm always grumpy when I wake up early and am cold, but once I'm out there watching the sunrise on a New Year, it's really quite hopeful.
 |
| That's right. Think it doesn't get cold in New Mexico? That's NEGATIVE 2 degrees Fahrenheit on New Year's Morning. |
 |
| We chose to watch the sunrise over these mountains, because there are two hearts. Love. |
 |
| Beautiful view from this look out. |
 |
| Here comes the sun! |
 |
| Happy New Year!! |
|
|
 |
| After we watched the sunrise, we went home and cooked this 20+lb turkey! |
3 comments:
I'm surprised that you managed to get up so early in your pregnant state. I don't know if I would have done it. But tradition is tradition. Keep it alive.
You guys are so cute. I think the tradition is way cool, but I, like you, would be initially quite grumpy as well. Also, that mountain is precious. And...I still have yet to see your belly recently!
Hmmm, Next year lets hike to the top of Pajarito mountain. The sunrise from there is the best!
Post a Comment