Saturday, January 01, 2011

87, 86 Days of Baby Strads: Fah who for-aze! Dah who dor-aze! Welcome Christmas, Come this way!

This is the first Christmas in many years that we've been able to spend with Jonathan's family.  It was a really fun time.  He's got a large family so there's LOTS of Christmas Spirit to go around.  Jonathan's family also has lots of Christmas traditions:
  • They go into the NM wilderness to cut down a 20 foot tree from the wild.  It literally spans from the floor all the way to touch the top of the vaulted ceiling in the living room (I should also mention that it takes up the majority of the room as well!).
  • Christmas cookies abound.
  • Jon's mom makes gingerbread people to hang on the tree on Christmas Eve.
  • The family acts out the Nativity (Jonathan and I played Wise Men)
  • And the newest tradition...a Christmas Eve cheese tasting.
Here are some pictures of the events of the Christmas holiday.
Giant New Mexico Pine Christmas Tree
This Teddy Bear is an ornament that was given to Jonathan on his first Christmas in 1981.
Here we are, the Wise Men.
Cute Nephews.  The Shepherds.
Mary and Joseph and an uncooperative Baby Jesus.
Cheese tasting.  We ate so much that many of us had a very uncomfortable night's sleep as we waited the arrival of Santa.
Here's the Civil War Tribute Quilt I (and my friend Christa) made for Jonathan's parents for Christmas.  It was a big project, but very fun. (Don't worry other parents, you'll be getting a handmade Christmas gift on an upcoming Christmas!)
This nephew is obsessed with cookies but calls them "Kee-Koos."

    5 comments:

    gardeniagirl said...

    Wow. Two amazing things in one blog post: the Christmas tree and the quilt. I am equally astonished by both. Too bad we don't live near each other. You could teach me your skill. And you can laugh at my lack of skill.

    clara said...

    Amanda I love the traditions Jonathans family has!!! I also love the idea you and Jonathan have started your own getting up on NY's day to see the sunrise I think that is cool and coooold!!!! Love Momxxoxoxoxoxoxox

    Angela said...

    Holy smokes that quilt is amazing!! I'm so impressed.

    Suzannah said...

    Your quilt looks amazing! (late) Merry Christmas!

    Gary said...

    This quilt is the best Christmas present ever! It is beautiful and warm and is a constant reminder of the love of a wonderful person. Thank you Amanda for the huge investment of time and thought that you have given us!